Forum Discussion
Mima
9 years agoMember
Feel like my head is spinning
Hi, I've been newly diagnosed on 20/12 too.
am feeling very overwhelmed too.
my head is spinning
See the surgeon on Saturday
part of me wants to get it over as quick as possible and part of me wants to forget it ever happened
am feeling very overwhelmed too.
my head is spinning
See the surgeon on Saturday
part of me wants to get it over as quick as possible and part of me wants to forget it ever happened
22 Replies
- melclarityMemberOh Tessy so very understandable. Pm if you want to chat, more than happy to talk. Xx
- Brenda5MemberI had a single mastectomy (my choice) in Nov 2015. Three weeks later I was back in hospital having all my underarm lymph nodes removed as the sentinel node had tested positive. Fortunately it was only in the sentinel node and not the others. My cancer was 2.5cm and looked like a black goldfish with googly eyes lol. It was ER+ and weak PR+ so I had 4 x 3weekly doses of chemo. I didn't have to have radiology as the breast was totally gone and the specialist didn't see the need for it. Side effect of having no lymph nodes in the arm is lymphedema which is a swelling that comes and goes but its manageable with a sleeve and gauntlet when needed. I am on Tamoxifen for at least 2yrs. I am 54 years old.
- tessytinkMemberThx I just feel very emoitional and scared
- melclarityMemberTessy join the breast reconstruction group. Theres a wealth of information plus ladies who have had it done and there are photo stories too. It helped me alot! I know now exactly what it looks like and end result which was very helpful. The plastic surgeon also was the best at showing exactly the surgery and result. Amazing what they can do. Hugs Melinda xo
- tessytinkMemberHi there feeling scared what to do my doctor suggested Diepfree flap has anyone has done this could you plz give me some information about it not sure what to do thx
- MimaMemberSo what treatment did you have to have and how long ago @Brenda5
- Brenda5MemberI know I sort of thought the doctors were having me on when I was first diagnosed. I thought yer right you are all just drumming up business but really you cant afford to ignore it once they find it. Just go through the motions of having the surgery and attending all your appointments and tests and see how it goes. No one knows properly until the pathology results are in which can take a couple of weeks after surgery. Hopefully yours is like mine and is just a one off fluke we got it in the first place.
- MimaMemberThank you ladies
Hard to get my head around what to ask so confusing at present - ChorsellMemberSome of the immediate questions might be around your lumpectomy surgery, when it is, where will the incision be, information about your recovery like how long you will be in hospital and off work.... Final decisions about treatment may not be made until they get the pathology from your lumpectomy. Ask for a copy of the report, ask about any restrictions that you may need to consider and the process around your treatment - many hospitals have a specific process around how treatment decisions are made.
Thats a start - you are bound to think of more....
all the best for your appointment
Chris - AfraserMemberApart from what to ask, it's really helpful if someone not so involved can go with you to write things down. When it's all strange, new and scary, It's easy to forget to ask and even easier to forget the answers!
Immediate questions are when and where, how long you will be in hospital, what to take with you and not take. I had a mastectomy and therefore no radiation (had chemo) and I really had very little pain after surgery. Others on this site can advise better than me about the next stages. Hard as it may be, deal with one problem at a time, otherwise you can get a bit swamped. When surgery is over, and you are feeling you can handle that bit, that's the time to start thinking about your next treatment. And let people help you - you may have been the family fixer, but people can and do step up when needed. As you get your head around treatment, you can pick up again but some free head space now is important. Best wishes for your appointment.