Early breast cancer

Options
KatyJoy
KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
i have been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. A wise doctor advised me many years ago to have mammograms every 2 years from 40 as I have an aunt who has breast cancer (at 60 yo). At 41 I had my first scan, never did I think I would actually have breast cancer. It has been such a shock! It feels so surreal as I have no lump. On mammogram/ultrasound, it was thought this tumour was 3-4 cm but because I have dense breast tissue, the doctor sent me for an mri. The mri estimates a 9cm tumour! My feelings are so confused, on one hand I feel 'this is so unfair', but I feel guilty feeling that because at least I have been diagnosed through being screened at a stage where my prognosis will hopefully be good, I should be feeling lucky about that. The plan for me is chemo for 6 cycles, then surgery followed by radiotherapy. I am a nurse working in palliative care so I have seen some very sad stories. Reading through the posts here, it has been great to see so many positive stories and support offered by women who have been in similar situations. What a great community! I had my first chemo a week ago and to be honest, I've been pretty sick, but I think I'm starting to come good now. Anyway, I'm sorry to be joining your community, but so glad it is here. I hope I can offer some support and hope to others in similar situations

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    KatyJoy, Welcome to the network. You must be a very special person indeed to work in palliative care (personally cannot think of anywhere harder to work!) and I'm sure you have witnessed the absolute worst, heart wrenching situations. So now is the time when you need to let others look after you when your not feeling the best.  ;) Thank goodness you have been having your scans!! It does seem very surreal as you can feel absolutely fantastic and then be told you have cancer. It's pretty much  a "What the ???? moment!!" Are you on three weekly chemo's? Hoping that you pick up quickly and feel better very soon. Come on and chat often and let us know how you're getting on. All the best Xx Cath
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hey Katyjoy!
    So sorry to hear about your Story! I'm 48yo and started Mammos late 30's due to my Mum having had Breast Cancer at 40, so I had been in the system as preventative I guess. In the past 5yrs Ive had Breast Cancer twice Ive just gotten over my recurrence and whilst like you I should feel grateful for being caught relatively early and ahead of things...its still a crap shoot!!! I too had IDC and underwent 4 FEC and 8 Taxol. I had Radiation 5yrs ago so couldnt have it again. I also was very ill through Chemo, its so so hard yes you come good before your next infusion then down again. Day at a time thats all you focus on!! Anything we can all help with ask away, theres a wealth of experience on here and some really compassionate wonderful women!!! 
    Hugs Melinda xo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hope all goes well with your journey. I'd been having mammograms since 40 yearly but unfortunately none picked  my cancer up due to my dense breasts and I was fortunate  to have a close to surface invasive cancer that I found myself at 51. I've competed ACT-H ...still doing herceptin and have had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstructions . ..well not quite finished yet but see the finish line. I worked in oncology and palliative care once too, and it helps to read and know that most people get to live long lives despite getting bc. Ask anything you want. Chemo is hard and you do get down...but slowly slowly you begin  to believe you are cancer free and there is a bright future. Best of luck. Kath x
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    Options
    Hi there @KatyJoy - I just wanted to jump in and welcome you to the network. If you need any help working your way around the network, finding information and support, please just let me know :-) ~ jess x
  • KatyJoy
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much everyone! I'm glad I've joined your community. My first chemo was FEC, and I will have that 3 times each 21 days apart. Tomorrow is day 10 so I am having a blood test to check my neutrophils. During the epirubicin part, I had a reaction and came out in hives. It was picked up quickly and I had steroids and antihistamines then continued the epirubicin without any further reaction. I now have a rash on my legs only, so that's weird. My face has also broken out in acne so I'm not looking my best. I will ask tomorrow if it's part of the side effects. I still have my hair 9 days post Fec although I've been told it will fall out very soon. Can anyone who has experienced this tell me how it happened for them? Is it sudden? Do most people just shave as soon as it starts? Or do they just let it fall out? I'm sure I will come up with many questions so it's great knowing you're all here. Unfortunately, many other women will be diagnosed, and it's great they can come here to connect with others who might have the same questions as them. Wishing love and light to all who need it, Kate x
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    Hi there
    Most people find it best to either shave their hair or cut it very short ( I did the latter). If can be distressing for you and others to have it come out in handfuls. 14 - 16!days after first chemo seems the norm. I waited till it started coming out, others cut it off straight away. Either way if helps if you have made some decisions about coverings or not covering, and if you plan to cover your head, whether scarves, hats and/ or wigs will be your preferences. I wore wigs most of the time, but sometimes scarves and hats. Synthetic wigs are not too expensive and I didn't find them hot, but you may be able to use a wig bank, so you can try one or two out, which is a great idea. Good luck, the plus side is that you have started treatment and putting cancer behind you.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hey!
    Yes like you I was told youd lose your hair about a week after the first infusion, so I had long blonde hair and cut it up short for my first infusion. Heading into my 2nd week after the infusion it started, it just starts shedding, you get up and its all over your pillow, you run your fingers through your hair and it just comes away, its not chunks though if that makes sense, once this started that was it. I rang my hairdresser and in tears I saw her and she shaved my head to a crew cut so as the rest fell I didnt notice it. It gave me some control over it as well, its tough going but I had wigs that thankfully looked real and hard to tell, I only wore headscarves for treatment day, didnt like looking that way...rocked it bald at home LOL everyone got used to it even me :O lol hardest part was when eyelashes/brows went I was more distressed over that wanting to look normal...alas! 11 months post and hair is looking good in growth and eye lashes came back as good as they ever were. Take it one day at a time and just do what feels good for you, you'll do great! Hugs Melinda xo
  • Shaylls
    Shaylls Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Welcome Katy, I'm newly diagnosed also. It's been less then two weeks since diagnosed and had surgery already. Early stage lobular cancer for me. No family history at all, just had a check as my nipple had slightly inverted. Taken straight out within days. Awaiting results now which is the tough part again. Once I get those I can plan the next phase of this journey. The ladies on here are wonderful and has helped me in this past couple of mind blowing weeks. They have been a great sounding board. 
    Good luck with your journey and hopefully you will get through this first phase ok. We are all here to listen xx Shaylee
  • KatyJoy
    Options
    Good luck with your journey also Shayley, what a whirlwind 2 weeks you've had! When I was first diagnosed, my initial reaction was 'just do a double mastectomy, take my ovaries, get it out!' But my treatment team wanted to do more tests and get more information to make sure we do the right thing. So I am having my chemo first then surgery at the end, which I was really uneasy about at first, but I've done a lot of reading, and apparently it's not that unusual these days, especially for large tumours like mine. My plan is still for double mastectomy and reconstruction at this stage though. It's been a bit overwhelming how many treatment options there are. I expected they would say 'this is what you have, and this is the treatment', but that's not the case. I should clarify, there is no indication anything is wrong with my ovaries, but both my grandmothers died of ovarian cancer, and as my cancer is hormone receptor positive, that's where the ovary thing came from. Good luck with your results, I hope they're as good as they can be. Kate x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi KatyJoy - glad you've found the forum and hopefully we can help you through and more importantly I do hope your journey doesn't have too many twists and turns. 

You are so right the diagnosis is Breast Cancer but the treatments for all of us are differing.  I found my Breast Care Nurse the best source of information when I was unsure of something. 

One of the things that will help you feel good about yourself as you go through this wretched journey is the Look Good Feel Better program https://lgfb.org.au/

They are run all over Australia and there is bound to be one near you.  They help not only with make up and well being but hair loss, types of wigs, perhaps where to access near you, how to wear a scarf that makes you feel good!  It is a good thing to do with like people!

Wishing you all the best, Take care
  • jadziatoo
    jadziatoo Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey KatyJoy, I am on the beginning of my journey too. I have started with chemo as well but I am undergoing TCH chemo. I have just had my second round of chemo and feeling a little bit worse than the first cycle. Then onto surgery. Good luck with it all.