New excercise

PETA WILLIAMS
PETA WILLIAMS Member Posts: 104
edited April 2016 in Health and wellbeing

So after quitting Physio I had to make up a new routine. The breast care excercises are for me useless. So what I do is lie on my back take the matechtomy side arm, my right arm , with my lefth and. So I grab the wrist and pull it up and down supported by left the do incles the across my body from right to left . By the time I have done this several times, say 10, I am no longer in pain and then can do the whole thing on its on unsupported.Its like retraining the brain muscle link The pain has become less on a daily basis and I would like to believe it is because of this. I think it is just too hard to get the connection of muscle moving without the support as they have been cut up anyway. Its working for me I have more movement ,my shoulder is not popping out of its socket and I feel my LATS WORKING DOWN THE SIDEs so I am consciously thinking and squeezing them now where as before I was just wrapped up in the pain and what I could not do and that I was disappointing everyone because I could not meet their expectations.

I have also gone again on milk free, gluten free and no sugar  diet again, a more stricter version  than during my 3 months of surgeries . I fell off the wagon for the last 2 months but now and I have found I am a lot less tired after two days of it , and less joint pain. as soon as I feel stronger and its should be by end of this first week I will start back on exercsie.You get used to it when the benefitsare weight loss and no pain Hugs to you all Love Peta

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,710
    edited April 2016

Hi Peta - that is good that you have found a routine that is working for you.  Did you receive the DVD Strengthen Your Recovery  - A Pilates program following breast cancer surgery - it was in the bag with my free bra and other bits and bobs from my breast care nurse.

Good luck with your road to recovery and take care

Christine xx

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited April 2016

No pain = gain. Well done!

• PETA WILLIAMS
    edited April 2016

Yes I did but since the muscles were cut through to the scapula and I did know till recently and the only muscle power I had came from bisep which was doing all the work, no matter what nothing was going to switch on cut up lats and chest muscles . It doesn't tell you how to switch them on again or take allowance that they are cut up so just not there and no one tells you The arm was never going to move on just the work of a bisep It just refused.I did follow the tape and nothing was working and I was sick of being blamed by everyone and accused of sitting on the couch doing nothing as if they have put a hidden camera in my house and they know it all ...being told it was all my fault.  was a kick in the guts on a constant basis. People should just come out and tell you everything has been cut up muscles and all , instead of playing the blame game. Thanks anyway Peta

• PETA WILLIAMS
    edited April 2016

You just have to find a way in general no onein the area of Cancer wants to tell you anything but its my fault I must just be sitting around doing nothing Hugs Peta

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2016

Supported exercise is often a god way to get movement back. So good you gound a way to get them working. Keep up the great work.

• Fiona_BCNA
    Fiona_BCNA Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2016

Hi Peta,

It is great to hear you have found ways to support your recovery, it is disappointing that you had to discover this on your own.

It is really positive that you are seeing good results and seeing improvements in daily activities too.

I found an exercise similar to what you described (see below), when doing some research on supported exercises. Utilising the wand(bar) may make it more comfortable for you, rather than having to reach across with your left arm.

Thanks for sharing.

Warm Regards,

Fiona (Team BCNA)

Wand exercise

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/exercises-after-breast-surgery 

This exercise helps increase the ability to move your shoulders forward. You will need a broom handle, yardstick, dowel, or other stick-like object to use as the wand in this exercise.

• Hold the wand across your belly in both hands with your palms facing up.
    • Lift the wand up over your head as far as you can. Use your unaffected arm to help lift the wand until you feel a stretch in your affected arm.
    • Hold for 5 seconds.
    • Lower arms and repeat 5 to 7 times.

• PETA WILLIAMS
    edited April 2016

Hugs to you Primek

• PETA WILLIAMS
    edited April 2016

Very Cool Hugs Peta