Have had a blubbery weekend

Options
hdubs
hdubs Member Posts: 82
edited June 2011 in Day to day

... even though I learnt on Friday that my first post-diagnosis mammogram was clear and a quick ultrasound in the surgeon's office was OK too.  I think the tears were partly a combination of the post-treatment blues and first mammogram anxiety.  But, he's also sent me off to have a blood test for possible jaundice, and the request  form also included the test for the BC tumour marker.  Eeek!  And then this morning I had a little coughing fit in the shower and coughed up a little blood.  Oh, dear.  I'm at home today doing my bowel preparation for a colonoscopy tomorrow - have had some bleeding with constipation during chemo and Tamoxifen and the colorectal surgeon wants to rule out bowel cancer.

This is proving to be an intense few days.  It isn't quite as bad, but nearly is, as that week-from-hell post-diagnosis waiting for my scans and test results to come through.

I am SO over this!

But I have caught up with your posts after not visiting the site for a week and am really buoyed up by your strength.  Thanks to you all.

Helen

Comments

• FranP
    FranP Member Posts: 396
    edited March 2015
    Options

just remembered i have regular liver function tests as the chemo has effected my liver function . and my platelettes are still down and my vit d is very low and i am 4 years since diagnosis. as to the coughing and blood if it was a Beeeeeeeg cough you could of just burst a small blood vessel in the throat, so could be nothing. 

i would still check with your oncologista or the chemo nurses. and just because you have constipation a a bit of blood doesnt mean cancer my husband has 2 yearly colonoscopy as he had similar probs but just polyps. 

• hdubs
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Fran so much for your reply. I'll let you know how I get on.  It really helps to be reassured that there are other reasons for all of this that don't necessarily mean the cancer has come back.

It was the oncologist that sent me to the colorectal surgeon, and my breast surgeon didn't bat an eyelid when I told him I was going.  So I'll just have to grin and bear it!

Helen

• FranP
    FranP Member Posts: 396
    edited March 2015
    Options

it is just so unfair. you hang in girl . here for you any time , where do you live? i am just out of Mansfield Victoria . 

my fingers are crossed for you. take care. i reckon the doctors are just being safe. xx 

• hdubs
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Fran,

I'm in Adelaide.  I agree the doctors are probably just being safe.   Still, I'll be glad to put this week behind me.

Thanks again,

Helen.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helen,

You poor darl, they are coming at you from every angle.You are in medical overload.You just have to deal with each bit at a time I suppose.We tend to think the worst  but it may end up being a low platlet count and haemroids. It's good news your mammogram was clear but it's just a shame you can't enjoy that relief feeling just yet. Hang in there and hopefully you can celebrate soon.

Tonya xx

• hdubs
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Fran

As we thought, the tests and scans turned out to show nothing at all.  My skin is yellow because I apparently eat too many carrots and sweet potatoes!  Colonoscopy was clear, but he took care of some haemorrhoids while he was there. Still waiting to hear the chest xray result, but I'm feeling optimistic about that.

Even though it's been a tough few weeks, it was a good experience to have early on because it taught me that this is what my life is going to be like from now on so I've just got to suck it up and get on with it.  Long (hopefully) stretches of calm sailing and then a week or two of nerves every so often waiting for test results to come back.  I can deal with that.

thanks again for your support,

Helen.