Step by step

Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited February 2016 in Health and wellbeing

To be honest I was never really that fit before I got bc. I did try from time to time but I never really saw myself as an athletic type of person. But during treatment I really noticed that exercise helped me in lots of ways, especially in coping emotionally with everything. I also learned that I was actually a lot stronger than I realised because I had to do and face some pretty tough times during treatment. 

So step by step I really have taken on much more physically since active treatment ended and hormone therapy started (tamoxifen and now Femara since I had my ovaries removed). I started walking short distances and worked my way up to being able to walk 20km with a loaded backpack. I started hiking hills, just little ones at first, then bigger ones. Then repeat climbs. Today I am so thrilled with my body. I ran up Mt Coolum (208m above sea level) and felt terrific. Not bad for a 50 year old who has been through a lot in the last 3 years.??

Comments

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited February 2016

That is so fantastic Deanne! What an achievement and such an inspiration!! I really hope that I can start to get active once treatment is over, one step at a time. 

I bet the view was great from Mount Coolum. My mum in law lives at Maroochydore and I've always been intrigued by what it must look like from the top!

Well done and take care, Nadine

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

Yes the view is excellent but strangely disorientating as things are not where I thought they should be in my mental map of the coast.

Embarrassingly I grew up on the coast but have a very poor sense of direction, obviously ;). Old Woman Island actually confused me because it is much more north than I thought. As a child I was used to viewing it from the top of Alexandra Headland where it looks very different to what I see from Mt Coolum.

I actually failed to reach the top of Mt Coolum when we were supposed to climb it when I was in High School!! So being able to run it today was pretty special!! I never imagined being able to do this let alone after I had had chemo etc.

Good luck with your recovery when the time comes. It takes patience and little steps but hey, it's not as hard as chemo! Take care, Deanne xxx

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

View from part way up. That's me with my pack on and my 'little' brother.

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    edited February 2016

Wow! look at that view. Did you run with your pack on as well?

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

Not with that pack, but a smaller one! This is the view from the top. I'm getting there with posting photos yay! ;)

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    edited February 2016

AMAZING :)

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited February 2016

You inspire me I've just got to get up and moving, I finding my blood cancer is kicking my arse but worse than the bc. I just am so fatigued I'm going to try and just go tommorow early and hopefully get some exercise in. Adean 

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

Getting going is the hardest bit, Adean. This morning for the first few steps my big toe joint (a bit of arthritis which really does not like Femara!) was killing me and I almost turned around as it was really windy too. But I think the wind helped blow me along and I just felt so energetic when I finished! Can't wait to try it again ?? xxx

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited February 2016

Great photo!

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited February 2016

Wow Deanne that is a great achievement I have 3 weddings this year and have decided that it is time that I get back into the gym more and get rid of the weight I have put on during treatment. My biggest issue is I have no motivation, so your post is positive and I know I can do it.

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

You can do it Rowdy. Just pat yourself on the back for every little bit of exercise you do rather than beating yourself up if you can't do everything you thought you should. Start little and build on it just a little bit by a little bit. I keep a diary and I write anything in it that could even remotely be considered exercise. It all helps to just get everything moving again after what our poor bodies go through! I think the best motivation is just feeling better :) xxx

• Carol22
    Carol22 Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2016

I love your posts Deanne you are so inspiring to me as I go through my treatment. One of my greatest worries is what condition my body & mind will be in at the end of this long drug 'cocktail party'. There are so many sad stories on this forum.

Please keep the posts up.

Cheers

Carol

• skitzy
    skitzy Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2016

Deanne you are such an inspiration, like you I have never thought of myself as being fit, being riddled with arthritis in both ankles I have a job to walk.

At the moment I am struggling with what seems to be flu but with nausea on top of the recent mastectomy scar being a bit sore too, I also have to go in again for the axillary clearance on the 9th March when I should have been on a 2 week holiday.

After reading your post I am now determined to get fit even if it is just 1 step at a time so I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

I think we all worry about what damage treatment will do to the rest of us. You know that you have to endure it all to really blast any stray cancer cells but gee it can be scarey to feel some of those side effects. But the body is pretty amazing and if you give it all the help you can it does recover and that is the best way I've found to keep my mind healthy too. 

You do have to go through this but you CAN help yourself in lots of little ways. I think we can all help each other on here. The constant and always available support on here is just such a wonderful thing that many people with other cancer situations just do not have access to. None of us ever wanted this to happen to us but thank goodness for this forum to share the good and bad times. It allows us to prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Take care. Deanne xxx

• Deanne
    edited February 2016

Oh, I'm so sorry that you will miss your holiday! That makes it just that bit harder but I hope you can do it at another time. 

After your axillary surgery they should have a physio show you some exercises to do to get your arm movement back. The good thing is you can do them sitting down. Do them gently but consistently and they really do help. 

It can be pretty hard to get moving after surgery but even just short gentle walks (even around the house) all count and are surprisingly helpful. I found it encouraging to write everything down that I did so I could see myself improving and trying. 

At the end of treatment I saw a physio for 10 sessions (if you see your GP you can have 5 sessions subsidized by Medicare I think). She designed a short program of strengthening exercises which were matched to my needs and abilities. Being consistent with these really got me on the road to recovery! Wishing you all the best with your surgery and any further treatment. Deanne xxx