Forum Discussion
Bbryce
10 years agoMember
Total newbie and totally scared.
11 Jan..... I was diagnosed Nov 17, 2015 and a mastectomy a week later and on Jan 7th started my first chemo - Docetaxel & Cyclophosphamide. Nasty, nasty stuff. Five days since the first chemo - I can honestly say I've felt better! Loss of taste (crying), nausea, diarrhoea (oh joy) as well as aching bones/muscles, unable to sleep... etc etc etc.
May I say, being a newcomer to the site, what a lovely group of ladies you are. I will be checking on the site very regularly. Already you have made me feel better about some of my reactions!
Bless you all :)
17 Replies
- BbryceMember
Gee, I hope you're right, Nadine. I know I'm a real sook with needles, but something about those lines terrify me. However! I'll find out what is to happen on the 28th *gulp* lol
Hope you're pick line is done soon for you, Nadine :) (Keep me posted and tell me if it hurts! lol)
Barb
- Jenni_HarMember
Sounds yummy, I will certainly try your soup as I find only foods with lots of flavour can overcome the metallic taste. My oncologist told me that patients reported chemo affects savoury more than sweet tastebuds for some unknown reason. Hence my friend with the chocolate biscuits.
- NadiMember
Hi Barb I am having the same problems with getting cannulas in and having needles. I am Sooooo looking forward to the port a cath that I will be getting in my chest to help. I will be having treatment every 3 weeks for 12 months and it's going to save me a lot of pain. The line you get in will be a lot better. Nadine
- BbryceMember
Hiya Emmy..... thought you were my daughter in law when I saw your nickname lol I totally agree.... chemo sucks emu eggs! I am apparently to have 4 rounds of chemo, but because the tumor was so large and aggressive, they are talking about another 12 weeks of chemo before the radium. *sigh* I can't wait. Not really thrilled though. They have enormous problems getting a cannula into me, so now I have to have a specialist come from the RBWH to use ultrasound to guide the needle into the vein. If that doesn't work they will put a 'pick' line into my chest. YUCK. Have the absolute horrors of needles..... so I'm not overjoyed *crying* Oh well...... one day at a time..... so doing everything to stop brooding on the needle saga.
Thank you Emmy, all the very best with your own treatment.
Barb xoxo
- BbryceMember
Thank you for the warm welcome, Sue :) How incredibly supportive you all are! Which is a bit of a devil because every act of kindness makes me weep a bit lol Getting a tad tired of bursting into tears at the drop of a hat tho lol It's only 5 days since my first chemo and I am having hair loss already ..... geez aren't I lucky?? lol oh well... think of all the money I will save on shampoo and conditioner! So far, you and I seem to be twins with our symptoms, although fingers crossed no thrush so far.
take care of yourself, Sue.... xoxo
- BbryceMember
Thank you, Nadi ..... I've ordered some fruit tingles in my next shopping delivery!! But I'm finding the asian flavours the best so far... thankfully we love asian soups and stirfries etc. I think I was born in the wrong country! lol I didn't realise I should have taken the pain relief and because I only have one kidney now, I held back. But no more!! What a huge difference today though *phew* I walk a lot around the place here with the gardening. I drive my neighbours nuts I think lol but oh well. Two of my neighbours now know I have to go walkies everyday to help, so they are determined to join me and "make" me motivated. oh dear lol
Thank you for your kindness, Nadi :))
Barb
- BbryceMember
Sorry to take so long to reply, Kim - it was a 'nanna nap' day again today! Already you, and all the other lovely ladies, have not only cheered me up no end - but made me feel less like a whinger. My family and friends have been wonderful, but it's not the same talking about it until you go through it yourself. I'm madly sucking up all the advice and taking every day, one by one.
PS: I am betting you look lovely - even bald. Haven't you noticed that women who are bald from chemo seem to have a special loveliness??? Besides - it's cooler this time of year!! lol It will come back darl. Just start planning a new, sexier hairstyle.
Barb
- emmypMember
Hi Barb,
Chemo really sux, I hated having no taste it really did my head in. How many rounds do you have to have? Just think you have almost made it through the first one and somehow you will make it through them all. Just do whatever you need to, to get through each day.
Big Hugs Emma
- BbryceMember
Thank you, Rowdy :) It certainly is a learning curve being on chemo, that's for sure! But you are all educating me - bless you, bless you all - and now I have stopped panicking lol I thought I was dying yesterday!
Be well, Rowdy :)
- BbryceMember
Hi Jenni - sincere thanks for your response! I adore food and cooking ...... so this taste business is ghastly! lol But one thing I have found are asian soups. I have one I use as my base - and just add different things each time. Hope it's ok if I put it here, but it is fast and so so easy to make and is TASTY. AND..... it's good for the figure!! lol
1 pkt of Continental Thai Red Curry cup of soup
500ml of stock (chicken, vegetable etc) and add two heaped teaspoons of crushed ginger (for the tummy) and one teaspoon of crushed chillie
frozen stir fry veggies
noodles
water to add volume
Just make up the soup base first and it let mine sit for an hour or so for the flavours to release - then add the veggies and noodles in the final 10 mins of cooking and VOILA!
You can use the pkt soup, ginger, chilli and garlic with some fine chopped veggies in little meatballs. (I prefer pork and veal mince) SO tasty and quick to make again. The whole family love both these recipes so you won't be making their lives miserable lol
Thank you Jenni :))