Mastectomy

Options
hooper65
hooper65 Member Posts: 48
edited July 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hi friends 

Well I haven't written anything for a while.  I had my lumpectomy for DCIS on the 23rd June unfortunately they did not get clear margins and found  Invasive cancer.  Had a mastectomy with  SLNB on Tues 21st July home the next day,  get results next week on Monday. What a surreal couple of months.  I see myself in the mirror and the reflection is something I have always dreaded,  a part of me is missing.  I'm grateful that it was found,  I'm still uncertain of what is next,  still playing the waiting game.  Have had bone scan,  CT Chest, abdo and pelvis all clear. Has been helpful Being on this site,  hearing the stories of all you beautiful ladies.  Bravery all around.  

So just waiting for results and what's next. Thanks for listening. 

Sonya

Comments

• Anna Theresa
    Anna Theresa Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Sonya,

Hi Sonya,

What  a whirlwind month for you. You have had so much to deal with and it sounds like you are carrying that heavy load very well. I know that this site is a godsend for us all, so keep sharing and talking. Good luck with your results next week.

Thanks for sharing,

Ann

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hello Sonya:) It is so hard in the first couple of months , every time you look in the mirror.  I was ok when i was dressed,but when it was time for a shower,I would just break down.It took quite some time,but I can tell you,that now,18 months past treatment,I couldn't care less when I look in the mirror.I don't wear my prosthetic,because it annoys me,I feel it is just fake.I am proud to be lopsided,and I hold my head high.I am grateful to be healthy,and I have never felt so strong.It took me a while to get to this point,but it feels pretty good.Give yourself time.CheersRobynxox

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Sonya, I've been wondering how you were going. Sorry to hear your news, but glad that all the follow up tests were clear. Fingers crossed for results on Monday. As you said to me at one stage, give yourself the compassion that you give to so many others. 

Take care

Lyn

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Sonya, I had my breast off in February this year, and yes, it does take time to get used to the look of things. Just take it one day at a time and remember that your family and friends love you for who you are. They should be looking at your lovely smiling face instead. Ne that you've had your surgery and you've got your results, you'll be able to get on with your treatment. You'll have a great network of people around you on this site. Warm wishes, Tracey B ??

• Kazzi
    Kazzi Member Posts: 263
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Sonya,

Sorry to hear about having to have the additional surgery, mastectomy after lumpectomy. It is devastating having to face the scar everyday, I'm hoping it gets easier.  I had a similar experience, with two previous surgeries to conserve the breast, but resulted in mastectomy (mid May).  In my case, it was the best decision as there was another lump hiding (similar to the larger lump). 

My surgeon recommended a shop in the city (Sydney) to visit for a breast prosthesis & new bras, so after 6 weeks post op, I went on a shopping spree with my besties. It did cheer me up. They had swimming costumes and swimming prosthesis as well.  

I've also found the 'my care kit' to be fantastic (did your nurses order it for you?).  The pilates dvd is keeping me on track.

All the best with your results on Monday.  It's always a nerve wracking time waiting in doctor's waiting rooms for the appointment time.

I found a quote on pinterest which helped me, "Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you."

Big hug,

Karen xx

• monica675
    monica675 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi  Sonya 

I tòo have a tough  month, after a standard mammogram and was told  I had  multifocal  disease  (four  separate parts of my breast). I have since had the breast and some lymph nodes removed and am waiting for the pathology results for the  next part of my journey. I am actually  writing  this while recovering in hospital 

This site is a god send

I wish everyone well whatever part of the journey you are on 

• hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Annie,  yes it certainly seems to all happen in quick succession,  although sometimes it just seems to drag on. 

Sonya

• hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn,  It will take some getting used to I'm grateful you shared your experience with me,  it gives me hope.  

Regards 

Sonya 

• hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Lyn this is certainly one of the toughest journeys I've experienced.  Having you ladies to talk to is a God send. 

Sonya 

• hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Tracy

You're absolutely right,  my family and friends have been wonderful,  they are my floaties at present,  keeping my head above water.  I'm am so lucky and grateful for such fantastic support.  This site had also helped so much.  Thanks for staying in contact. 

Sonya 

• hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Karen,  I will keep that quote close at hand,  it is a beauty.  I have found all the support since being diagnosed so helpful.  The breastcare nurse showed me some selections on Friday,  maybe I will have to organise a trip to the city,  I live in Rockhampton Qld. 

Regards 

Sonya

• hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Monica 

Good luck with your results.  Like I've been told,  take it day by day,  appointment by appointment,  it's a hard slog however with the support of this site,  family and friends you will win.

All the best

Sonya  

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,848
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello Sonya
    You will find that you are stronger than you ever thought !
    Karen's quote is magnificent - thank you, Karen - keep it on hand fore those tiny moments when you doubt yourself.
    As ladies say, take it one day at a time if you can. Me, I like to plan ahead so I can get my mindset in the right place.
    My affirmation during my mastectomy and two subsequent emergency surgeries was "I am positive. I am strong. I am proud" and that helped me to focus and get through it.
    Now, almost a year on my SNAG has hit a downer re the 'new me' so there are more issues to deal with but I am sure, like others, we will make it through.
    Me, I am just happy to be alive and, after all, who knows once I am dressed ?
    I will be thinking of you on Monday. You have the support of many wonderful ladies on this site so log on and ask away, vent away - but beyond all else, stay in touch and keep talking.
    Best wishes and bigger hugs
    Summer :-)
  • hooper65
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Summer,  you are inspirational.  You are so right about this site  I am very privileged to be in contact with so many other inspirational ladies. Stay proud,  positive and strong and I will endeavour to do the same.  Huge thanks

Sonya 

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited July 2015
    Options

You've got that right Sonya. I may not post much myself, but just reading other people's posts, and the responses somehow lifts my spirit.

take care, Lyn