New to this

Options
Mum of three
Mum of three Member Posts: 11
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hello all.
I'm newly diagnosed. I had a mastectomy in October and start my chemo tomorrow. I'm A single mum with three young boys. Over the past few weeks I've been reading the blogs here. I've found them to be reassuring and informative. I've started implementing some of the advice I've read here.
I think you're all amazing. The encouragement some of you ladies give to those who are clearly going through a rough patch in their journey should be applauded.

I'm unsure bid I'm a little weird but I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow. Bring it on so I get out the other end of that tunnel sooner rather than later.

Love to all you brave ladies and the special people that support you
Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the online network :) Here you will find all the support you need to get you through the coming weeks and months.Do,you have support lined up to help you with your children if you need it? What type of chemo are you having? As you have seen,there are many different reactions to chemo,but these days there is a lot of medication to help,with side effects.If you have any questions,you can come on here at any time and someone will always be here to give advice.All the best for tomorrow,and try not to worry too much.Stay in touch.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • Mum of three
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have no family around me, they are interstate. I do have some nice friends who have offered to help but I'm worried about wearing out the friendships. My concern is the chemo days and who will care for the boys especially across the school holidays. This is worrying me more than any of the impending side effects. The welfare of my boys is of the up most importance to me. They are innocent to this problem and it seems such young children should not have to experience a tough time too, due to their mums diagnosis.

I think I'm having AC chemo. Once every three weeks then once a week for twelve week.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Big welcome,big hug! Sorry to hear you are facing bc on your own.Could family come and stay to help out when chemo is in full swing?How old are your boys?No kids should have to see their mum get breast cancer but they are more resilient than we think.One of my daughters was doing her HSC when I had my first bout of bc.I felt really guilty but she passed with flying colours.I've had bc twice(2003 and 2010) and I'm fine now but I needed a lot of love and support to get through it.Keep blogging back here for support or to vent your fears/thoughts as I think it helps.Tonya xx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Big welcome,big hug! Sorry to hear you are facing bc on your own.Could family come and stay to help out when chemo is in full swing?How old are your boys?No kids should have to see their mum get breast cancer but they are more resilient than we think.One of my daughters was doing her HSC when I had my first bout of bc.I felt really guilty but she passed with flying colours.I've had bc twice(2003 and 2010) and I'm fine now but I needed a lot of love and support to get through it.Keep blogging back here for support or to vent your fears/thoughts as I think it helps.Tonya xx
  • Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am in Perth where are you. I have not worked for over a year but did work in child protection and more than happy to help if you are in Perth. I think we should all write our city so others from same city can be of some phyiscal help support. Good luck for tomorrow. cyber hugs

Sarah54

• Mum of three
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm in rural NSW. I've had my first lot of chemo and feel tired. I had a chat to the nurses at daffodil cottage about my concerns in regards to the kids. They have reassured me it would be okay for me to take the kids with me and the lovely volunteer ladies could watch them. I was so relieved, I nearly cried!
    Thanks for your cyber hug, sending one right back. Xx
  • Mum of three
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya,
    Thanks for your encouragement. You must be so proud of your daughter. My boys are 2, 8 and 9. Things seem to be falling into place with the childcare concerns. Sooo relieved!
    I need to stay strong for the boys, so I'm being as positive as I can.
  • Mum of three
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's easy to say to others....be brave, cry, laugh ask loads of questions. I feel your worries!
  • marlak
    marlak Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I soo agree with you. I start my treatment on Monday and don't know what to expect what side effects I will suffer.
  • Mum of three
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Marlak
    Sorry for the slow response. I've been busy with Christmas shopping, boys now home from school, doctors appointments every which way I turn and feeling tired.
    I've had my first cycle of chemo. All in all it hasn't been too bad. No nausea, no constipation, no vomiting. I have had hair loss though. I had very long hair and it came out in handfuls just above the nape of my neck. So I took myself off to the hair dressers and I now look like GI Jane. Interestingly the hair loss stopped!? One thing I wasn't prepared for was acne. OMG its in my scalp on my face, chest, shoulders and upper arms. I feel like a teenager. I feel very lucky that this is all I have to complain about. My boys seem to be coping well which is so comforting. They are enjoying choosing different head pieces for me.
    As for you, I sincerely hope your first treatment went well. Please do keep me updated. Remember to take a " nanna nap" when ever you can. Oh, may I share a tip? I was feeling as though I was developing mouth ulcers so I increased the amount of times I gargle with Biotene Mouth Wash to basically any moment I could spare and my mouth is free of ulcers.
    I know what you mean about not knowing what to expect and what the side effects will be? I've found that frustrating. I've very much had the attitude of " bring it on" so we can all stop talking about the possibility of this and that and get on with what ever happens.
    What chemo are you having? Are you feeling well supported?
    Keep smiling.
    Love
    Mandy