Forum Discussion
kchehade
12 years agoMember
starting my 'journey'
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and had a lumpectomy last and sentinel node biopsy last Wednesday. I'll see my surgeon for results and treatment plan this Thursday. Things are moving so quick but I think I'm handling it well so far. It's good to find you and get some support.
Sign in to react to this post
40 Replies
- BluepsiderMemberSorry you need more surgery. I am still waiting my test results this coming Thursday. I feel like I am a week behind you. Stay positive and do what is best for you. See how you are feeling. Remember to talk to your dr. Praying for you on whatever you decide to do. XxxxSign in to react to this post
- Norma_ElyMember
Sorry to know that you need another surgery, when I had my lumpectomy I was told that if the tissue was not clear I would need another operation....I was lucky I didn't need that but I had radio & chemo and as I said before I'm still on Arimidex and according to my oncologist for life!
All the best, keep in touch
Norma
Sign in to react to this post - DeanneMemberI think it is fairly common to have more than one surgery when having breast conserving surgery, judging from the number of women who post on here. But this may not be what the statistics say, maybe your doctor could answer that one. The surgeon recommended a mastectomy rather than breast conserving surgery for me because I had both a tumor and an area of DCIS (which can be very difficult to remove with lumpectomy). I was glad to have only one surgery and found the mastectomy recovery was surprisingly quick. I was fit enough for chemo 2 weeks later, although I waited another week so I could start on a suitable day for me. I did find it more reassuring to have most of the breast tissue removed even though statistics show that lumpectomies can be just as successful in removing and treating the cancer. Good luck for Monday. Hopefully that will be the end of surgery for you. Take care. Deanne xxxSign in to react to this post
- DeanneMemberI think it is fairly common to have more than one surgery when having breast conserving surgery, judging from the number of women who post on here. But this may not be what the statistics say, maybe your doctor could answer that one. The surgeon recommended a mastectomy rather than breast conserving surgery for me because I had both a tumor and an area of DCIS (which can be very difficult to remove with lumpectomy). I was glad to have only one surgery and found the mastectomy recovery was surprisingly quick. I was fit enough for chemo 2 weeks later, although I waited another week so I could start on a suitable day for me. I did find it more reassuring to have most of the breast tissue removed even though statistics show that lumpectomies can be just as successful in removing and treating the cancer. Good luck for Monday. Hopefully that will be the end of surgery for you. Take care. Deanne xxxSign in to react to this post
- kchehadeMember
hi all
I went to see the doctor today re the biopsy result and I was informed that I need to go back to have more tissue taken out and it looks like I might need chemo but all will be confirmed following the surgery on Monday next week and the result of the test. So we go back to where I was last week. I am thinking that if I have to do another one, after Monday, for more tissue to be taken out that I will opt for a mastectomy. I just don't want to keep going back again again to be 'sliced' slowly and I want the peace of mind.
Is this common?
If any of you have been through a similar condition to mine what was your option and what was the result?
thanks for your help.
Katia
Sign in to react to this post - kchehadeMember
hi all
I went to see the doctor today re the biopsy result and I was informed that I need to go back to have more tissue taken out and it looks like I might need chemo but all will be confirmed following the surgery on Monday next week and the result of the test. So we go back to where I was last week. I am thinking that if I have to do another one, after Monday, for more tissue to be taken out that I will opt for a mastectomy. I just don't want to keep going back again again to be 'sliced' slowly and I want the peace of mind.
Is this common?
If any of you have been through a similar condition to mine what was your option and what was the result?
thanks for your help.
Katia
Sign in to react to this post - kchehadeMemberThank you all for the support. I'll update you tomorrow following my apptSign in to react to this post
- Norma_ElyMember
All the best for Thursday and onwards, don't forget that you don't have to "travel" alone...
I had a lumpectomy, radio & chemo 10 yrs ago....still on med but happy to be here!
Norma
Sign in to react to this post - Norma_ElyMember
All the best for Thursday and onwards, don't forget that you don't have to "travel" alone...
I had a lumpectomy, radio & chemo 10 yrs ago....still on med but happy to be here!
Norma
Sign in to react to this post - magicmumMember
I wish you very well with your results - that's the scariest part I think. Once you know what you're dealing with it seems easier to move forward.
I also found it easier if people knew, you don't have to give them all the details but just knwoing seems to help people to help you. Your choice of course.
much love
magicmum
Sign in to react to this post