Forum Discussion
kel016
14 years agoMember
Profilatic mascetomy
Just wondering how many ladies have opted to have a double mastectomy with cancer only in one breast to try and eliminate the possibility of it coming back. Also was your choice based on a genetic factor or purely prevention and peace of mind?? Thanks kel xxxxxx
80 Replies
- ChalMemberHi Melanie, I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy because of my family history. I have recently had genetic testing but do not have the results yet. I was 40 at diagnosis December 2011. I have one son and didn't plan on having any more children therefore the decision was relatively easy for me. I have since then had my reconstruction completed with tissue expanders followed by silicon implants, nipple reconstruction and tattooed areola. I am very happy with the results and have never questioned my decision. I have also recently had my ovaries removed. Whatever your decision, it needs to be right for you. Chal
- melanieg51MemberI guess I'm interested to know what factors steered you towards having a bilateral masectomy? In my particular situation my Dr suggests that I wouldn't be significantly better off having a masectomy, but I'm so fretful about the possibility of recurrence especially since I'm under 35. He understands that it will really be my choice in the end. Can I ask what what stage you are up to. How long will it all take for you?
- kel016MemberHi melanieg15, I would love to give you my thoughts and current progress on doing exactly what you are thinking about doing. I only have a couple of minutes right now but I will respond and answer any of your questions. I'm halfway through the op so hopefully I can help xx
- kel016MemberHi melanieg15, I would love to give you my thoughts and current progress on doing exactly what you are thinking about doing. I only have a couple of minutes right now but I will respond and answer any of your questions. I'm halfway through the op so hopefully I can help xx
- melanieg51Member
Hi y'all this my first comment :)
I've just completed my 2nd session of chemo (TCH) with 4 more cycles to go. I'm really happy to be in the process of treatment but now the next big thing I'm thinking about is how to ensure I beat this cancer for ever.
I'm 33 and my BC was located in my left breast. 13mm, clean margins, sentinal node biopsy with no spread. So pathology was very good. Stage 1, Grade 2 but I came up as triple positive for ER, PR, HER/2. I had a lumpectomy and my Dr suggested we wait until after chemo to make the decision if I wanted to have a masectomy or continue with radiation.
Initially I felt there was no need but as time goes on I feel like because of my age and the grade, I need to be aggressive and know I did everything I could to ensure I don't get any recurrrence. So today I am thinking I want a bilateral masectomy. I'm also torn since I haven't had kids yet and I worry that I may be putting any possible children at risk by not being able to breastfeed. I also worry about a multitude of things like, keeping my nipples, recovery time, lenght of time between removal and reconstruction. Despite all of that I feel it would just a mental relief not to have to be terrified about my breasts and I absolutely don't want to have a recurrence or live with this 5/10 yrs down the track as a 'chronic disease'.
All your experiences have really helped me give me some guidance, especially as a young woman I also feel my situation/options is a different that of a woman over 50.
- melanieg51Member
Hi y'all this my first comment :)
I've just completed my 2nd session of chemo (TCH) with 4 more cycles to go. I'm really happy to be in the process of treatment but now the next big thing I'm thinking about is how to ensure I beat this cancer for ever.
I'm 33 and my BC was located in my left breast. 13mm, clean margins, sentinal node biopsy with no spread. So pathology was very good. Stage 1, Grade 2 but I came up as triple positive for ER, PR, HER/2. I had a lumpectomy and my Dr suggested we wait until after chemo to make the decision if I wanted to have a masectomy or continue with radiation.
Initially I felt there was no need but as time goes on I feel like because of my age and the grade, I need to be aggressive and know I did everything I could to ensure I don't get any recurrrence. So today I am thinking I want a bilateral masectomy. I'm also torn since I haven't had kids yet and I worry that I may be putting any possible children at risk by not being able to breastfeed. I also worry about a multitude of things like, keeping my nipples, recovery time, lenght of time between removal and reconstruction. Despite all of that I feel it would just a mental relief not to have to be terrified about my breasts and I absolutely don't want to have a recurrence or live with this 5/10 yrs down the track as a 'chronic disease'.
All your experiences have really helped me give me some guidance, especially as a young woman I also feel my situation/options is a different that of a woman over 50.
- ColdcapperMemberThanks Little Red So pleased your chemo is nearly over brilliant and of course I wish you the brightest future. I would like you to update me on your decisions re trans flap or whatever is advised I to want the brightest clear future and yet I know I need to have boobs after the double Mastectomy so I figure go for the most natural (if there is such a thing) - if it means I avoid RT and subsequent potential heart damage radiation induced other cancer I am grateful I have the choice. I am finishing in 6 weeks so face the same decision so value your and others brave experiences. Cheers and best wishes. Coldcapper
- Little_RedMember
Hi Coldcapper,
I am 33 and about to finish my chemo in 4 weeks. yay.
The day after my last treatment I will see my surgeon again, I do not have lots of infomation yet about the double mastectomy but when I first saw her with my results I asked what she would do in my position so I have the smallest chance of it coming back. She said she would have a double mastectomy regardless of my genetic results (which i dont have yet). I am of course nervous about the thought of more surgery and recovery and time off work but so far I am sticking to this decison.
I can keep you posted if you like?
L
- mum2jjMember
Glad to know info I was given is correct. I see my plastic surgeon on the 20th to tell him of my decision. I hope he still thinks he can do both breasts from my tummy!!! My general surgeon is in agreeance to do the prophylactic mastectomy. Am I right in thinking you still have your right breast? It's all a bit scary, but so glad to hear someone who is post op and recovering well.
CHeers
Paula :)
- ChrisMemberHi Little Red, You shouldn't need to have lymph nodes removed from the prophylactic side if there is no cancer. I didn't require this. They will take the breast, and of course they will send it to be checked, but if it is all clear, then you keep your nodes. I had 10 removed from my right side, and I won't allow anyone to take blood from that side, or even my blood pressure. Good luck. Love Chris xx