Forum Discussion

RSVP's avatar
RSVP
Member
20 days ago

Surgical options

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and I have my first meeting with the surgeon on Thursday. I know to expect surgery soon but dont know if this will be lumpectomy or mastectomy. I know that this will be one of the things to discuss on Thursday but I am curious if there is a 'choice' - in a sense part of me just wants to be told which option but I wondered if anyone here made a decision one way or the other and how they felt about that?  How long do you get to make any decisions if a choice is available? 
Am also put this query in the recently diagnosed thread as I have not posted before and not sure which is better for this. 
Thanks for any thoughts. 

5 Replies

  • Hi RSVP​ 

    I'm sorry you are dealing with this, it's an incredibly conflicted time and can feel really overwhelming.

    My experience was that I was diagnosed, knew my PET results and went into 4 months of chemo before surgery. I could have had a lumpectomy but made the decision to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction. The drs were clear about my options and what that meant, but the decision was mine. To be honest, from the moment I found out I had cancer I just wanted to have it all "off"

    My surgery was in March and I'm confident of the decision I made. I would have had time to change my mind during chemo but I ultimately opted for this route. 

    Age, personal situation and treatment all plays into this. My only piece of advice is to make sure it's your decision and not down to opinion from well meaning people. Everyone has an opinion, but only yours counts x

     

  • Hi there, what did you decide and hope it all went well and as planned

  • Hi 

    I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in April 2026.   After having a pet scan I was advised to have a lumpectomy.   I had the lumpectomy in May and have since had 12 rounds of chemo.    Next week I will be having a double mastectomy and reconstruction. As i am a carrier of the BRAC2 gene I was advised that this would be the best option. 

    Hoping this helpful.  All the best. 

  • Hi RSVP​ 

    I too have been recently diagnosed with invasive carcinoma in both breasts. Multiple in one side.  I am 52.

    I am meeting again with my breast surgeon after a negative genetic test results, and a plastic surgeon, next week.

    I have been doing a lot of reading regarding my surgery options and we do have a choice.  Read through as much information on here as possible as it is a very personal choice.  Look at different websites too e.g. 

    https://www.melbournebreastcancersurgery.com.au/lumpectomy-vs-mastectomy-how-to-choose.html

    A good surgeon will not rush you into making a decision.  Mine has been fabulous in explaining options and was not negative about me wanting to take my time with the decision.

    I wish you all the best.  This resource is so incredible and you are not alone.

     

    • RSVP's avatar
      RSVP
      Member

      Thank you - all the very best to you too x