Forum Discussion
Purplediamond
12 years agoMember
Not sure what's to come...
Hi all. This is my first entry on this faulous site.
I was first diagnosed with DCIS breast cancer in Sept 2001. A successful lumpectomy followed.
I was diagnosed again (DCIS, same breast, same scare opened) in Sept 2004 with 30 sessions of radiation. I have been clear ever since...that is until Tues. I went for my yearly Mammo and ultrasound. There was a 'suspicious" area. l had 3 core biopsies taken. Bottom line, IDC this time...same breast...different spot...Sept again! I can see a pattern here that I don't like :-)
My appointment with my breast surgeon is on Monday. I'm prepared for the whole mastectomy, chemo thing. Frankly, I don't think he will have any other options.
I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, but I have thought through (over the last few years) what my response woukld be to a mastectomy. I think that a double would be my choice. The main reason is that I am a DD cup, so on the large side, and large isn't all it's cracked up to be. Plus, I'm not that precious about "the girls"...they've been a worry for a long time.
I think I'd opt for no reconstruction, and eventually a couple of cool tattos to cover the scaring.
Sorry for the immense amount of info, but if anyone has any thoughts/experience, I'd be grateful of the feedback.
Janet :-)
13 Replies
- shmooMember
Good luck with your decision. We are all different and we need to do what we feel most comfortable with. I also wanted to feel symmetrical with my reconstruction and knew I would get a much better result with a bilateral mastectomy. My chances of recurrence to the other side was slightly increased and this was enough to prompt me to chose a double mastectomy.
All the best for your surgery in October!
Thanks for taking the time to answer x
I have definitely decided to go with the bi-lateral mastectomy. I have wieghed up all the pros and cons, and more importantly, spoken to 2 friends who have had singles. I also met with my breast care nurse from my last 2 surgeries. All of these people agreed that I was making the correct decision. I am very large busted and the task of 'balancing' my remaining breast with a prosthesis means that I would have quite a heavy prosthesis.
Plus, I live in Qld, so my two friends that use a prosthesis have indicated that it is very hot to wear, and very sweaty in our climate. As I do not work in aircon, I took this on board.
I am not 'precious' about my breasts. They are very uneven now because of my previous surgeries. I know that everyone is different, but I think that my choice is right for me. My husband aggrees that I am making the right decision.
If I decide to reconstruct...I'm not even sure if I can...or will want to... I'll be doing the two together, and not dealing with a massive size difference to rectify.
I can only do what feels right. so, wish me luck...I'm booked for Oct 8th...scary, but I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that my sentinal node/s come back clear, or I'll have a different battle to fight.
Janet xx