Forum Discussion
Sandra_Weston
10 years agoMember
Radio Therapy - should I or shouldn't I
I have recently had my lumpectomy and am considered one of the lucky ones. It was grade 1 and detected very early - only 8mm. I have been advised to have radio therapy, but I am having conflicting reports on the advantage of this. The recommended dose has been reduced to 3 weeks and I am unsure what to do....any advise?
16 Replies
thank you for your care and concern. I hope you receive the test results that you desire. What a wonderful community we have here that understands how hard it is to go through this without the support of others. Take care
Thanks Lyn - and the same to you. What a journey it is, probably not one I was prepared to go on at the time but I count myself lucky everytime I go to the oncology ward and see others that have it much tougher than I do.
Eunice
Good luck with your treatment as well. Perhaps I will see you in the oncology ward.
Thank you Jackie for replying. My husband and I have asked more questions and have decided to go ahead with the radiation as it is only 3 weeks. It is one of those things that you never know if you are making the right decision, but feel comfortable with my choice and that is all I can hope for. I have requested I start after my daughters wedding in case it is sore and red. thanks again
- hezz73Member
Hi Sandra,
I had a lumpectomy on 15mm tumor however there was a touch to one lymph node in which I was recommended 3 cycles of chemo. This is to follow by radiotherapy but due to family history on breast cancer from my mum, I've been suggested to take on the genetic testing on BRCA 1 & 2 which I did yesterday. The results will help me determine to whether I would choose to have a mastectomy if they are positive which means I will skip the radiation. If results appear negative then radiation will be my path. Whatever you choose, I wish you all the best. Hugs.??
- AlsoptMember
Hey Sandra thank goodness they found it at grade 1 your question I would of easily taken 3 weeks of radio rather than mascetomy 5 months chemo expander and 5 weeks of radio having said that it's a very personal decision and you need to make that for you I felt fabulous when I was diagnosed and still would give anything to have found out earlier I'm ending 2nd week of radio do I lie there and think 'should I have said yes to this' yes I do it's important to gather your own results and remain in control personally 5 months of chemo was the worst for me I've learnt along the way more strength to challenge heads up do what you feel none of us knows you like you do hugs
- TonyaMMember
Hi Sandra, every decision you have to make regarding bc is difficult. Like Beppie,I had lumpectomy and radiation back in 2003 and the darn thing came back 7 years later in 2010.I then had to have a mastectomy and chemo and can't have implant reconstruction because of the radiation.My boob was never the same after radiation- hardened and shrunk (and I have some lung scarring) At least it filled my bra for awhile.It's a hard decision so ask your doctor about stats. In hindsight I really don't know what I would do. I just did what I thought best for me at that time.xx
- iserbrownMember
Hi Sandra - wishing you well with your treatment options. I can understand you canvassing others to see what they have done and giving you a greater understanding. I was offered Chemo but told with only a 3% advantage - I opted for what 97% could give me. My Oncologist was happy with my decision and if it had been 10% he would've strongly advised me to go ahead with chemo.
It's personal in your decision making and don't feel you must or must not. Gather all your info and questions ready for your next appointment so that the decision is one you are happy with.
Take care
- jaycia02Member
Hi Sandra,
I'm the other side of the fence. I declined radiotherapy and I don't regret my decision at all BUT I had discussions with the radiation oncologist, my oncologist and my breast surgeon as part of my decision making.
Have you spoken to your surgeon about what happens if you don't have the radiotherapy? They will be able to provide you with statistics which may help you weigh your choices up. And the biggy are you prepared to have a mastectomy if that is the treatment recommendation instead of radiotherapy?
At the end of the day you have to live with your decision so follow your gut but just make sure it is an educated and informed decision. Jen
- BeppieMember
Hi Sandra ,
I had a lumpectomy and radiation in 2004. Since then it has improved heaps and now you can put cream on and other measures to help unlike me . I wasn't allowed to then. I took whatever gave me the best chance but in 2013 it returned in the same left breast. I had a mastectomy and chemotherapy . My oncologist said it's probably a combination of both radiation and chemotherapy that I ended up with Atrial Fibrillation and on 6 different tablets. I'd still do it again as I'm a firm believer in having whatever is available to prolong life. It's your choice , your body. Wishing you well and hugs xx