Forum Discussion
LauraB27
1 year agoMember
Genomic Testing experiences
Hi all, I’m a 46 year old mother of two older teenage boys and was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2025. I have since had a lumpectomy and sentinel node clearance and been advised I had Stage...
Helen65
1 year agoMember
Hi LauraB27
I am thinking of the Oncotype dx test. I have also read a lot about it. How did things go for you? Did it make a difference to your treatment choices?
Thank you for sharing and I hope you are travelling okay.
- LauraB271 year agoMember
Hi Helen,
I did do the test as I wanted to have peace of mind knowing my tumour had been tested, as I’m a what if person and I didn’t want to always wonder. My score came back in the middle bracket which showed that there would be a small benefit to having chemo but it was ultimately my decision. I decided to go ahead with chemo as I felt better knowing I threw everything at it and I was dealing in small percentages with the radiation and hormone therapy anyway. I have had one round of chemo which was tough but I got through it. Have my next one on Monday. I hope you are travelling well and that my sharing maybe helps.
- Helen651 year agoMember
Hi Laura
Thank you for getting back to me. I met with my Oncologist this afternoon. I have decided to go ahead with chemo. I am already week 4 post surgery and with a grade 3 cancer with lymphovascular invasion, I was worried about waiting another 2 to 3 weeks for a result with the testing. Your sharing has helped me. I know I have made the right decision now because like you I just want to throw everything at this. My thoughts are with you next Monday. Stay strong.
- Jane1231 year agoMember
Hi Helen,
I had the Oncotype DX test after a mastectomy and reconstruction in 2018 and cancer recurrence in the skin in 2024. Considering I had recurrence of a low risk cancer I thought it would be worth it for peace of mind. It reassured me that chemotherapy is still not recommended. Very happy I had the test despite the cost.
- Helen651 year agoMember
Thanks Jane. I am new to this group and am finding it a valuable place to share experiences. I see my Oncologist tomorrow. My cancer is grade 3 and pathology showed lymphovascular invasion, though the nodes were clear, thankfully. I am week 4 post op and worried about delaying the start of treatment by another couple of weeks waiting for the results of the test. I know that’s a discussion to have with the Oncologist tomorrow. However , I don’t want to put myself through chemotherapy if it is not needed. Your feedback has helped me. Thank you again. You can’t put a price on peace of mind.