Forum Discussion
LynJoan
9 years agoMember
Discussion
Hi , This is my first time on this site, and I hope to get some other ladies who have had to make this decision as well.
I am 68 and had early Breast Cancer, the cancer was 10 cm in the left breast.
I had a left breast mastectomy in October last year and have just finished chemo.To start radiation therapy
On 1st June. Then will be having aromatise inhibitor tablets from then on.
My decision is when I see my surgeon in September after having a memagram and ultrasound, should I have my right breast taken off as well, as I am really worried that the cancer may come back in the right breast. I don't want to have to go through chemo again.
I have spoken to many ladies at the hospital that have found cancer in the other breast 6 months later and had to go through chemo all again. I am thinking I would rather have it taken off now so that doesn't happen.
I am 68 and had early Breast Cancer, the cancer was 10 cm in the left breast.
I had a left breast mastectomy in October last year and have just finished chemo.To start radiation therapy
On 1st June. Then will be having aromatise inhibitor tablets from then on.
My decision is when I see my surgeon in September after having a memagram and ultrasound, should I have my right breast taken off as well, as I am really worried that the cancer may come back in the right breast. I don't want to have to go through chemo again.
I have spoken to many ladies at the hospital that have found cancer in the other breast 6 months later and had to go through chemo all again. I am thinking I would rather have it taken off now so that doesn't happen.
27 Replies
- LynJoanMemberSo right Kath, my cancer was lobular and was not detected till it was 10 cm, so that is why they will still want me to have biopsies every time I have a checkup on the other breast.
so I do think the right decision for me is to have it removed so I can get on with a peaceful life. - primekMemberWell I found my lump 5 weeks after a clear mammogram...completely invisible by breast density. I was so lucky it was near my nipple and I found it really. My surgeon recommended we go for both off...and I have never regretted the decision. I miss my breasts yes. But I'm not having the issue of being terrified cancer is growing back in the breast and undetectable. Kath x
- onemargieMemberHi there I had lumpy boobs and didn't want to always be worrying about the lumps and bumps and ongoing bloody mammograms so I took both off too 6 months apart and I was 43 last year when I was diagnosed with triple neg bc. Trust your gut love that what I did and no regrets there with that decision. Everyone is different and everyone feels differently about it and you will find whatever the decision made by the girls on here they have all trusted their guts and done what is best for them and you need to do the same. I know there is still a small chance it can come back somewhere else but I know I've eliminated the risk of getting it in the other boob and one less thing to stress about for me anyway. Getting on with life now nearly twelve months since i finished chemo flat chested and fabulous and on the wait list til at least next year for my recon if I still decide I want to do it and can be bothered with more surgery. Some days I'm really keen other days I'm not. But again I'll know what's right for me either way as will you. Margie ❤️
- AfraserMemberAgh, the decisions we have to make! Like Mel, I had a mastectomy and with no family history of cancer and the advice that any further cancer could occur as easily elsewhere in the body as my right breast, I have remained mono-boobed. Different advice, different outcome. I am quite large breasted and have had no back or neck problems but I do wear a prosthesis pretty well all the time. I realised when I got it (12 months after my mastectomy due to a persistent seroma - another factor in not having the other breast off without a strong reason) that I had been walking very slightly lop sidedly because of the lack of weight but the prosthesis sorted that all out. Best wishes whatever you decide.
- LynJoanMemberHi, The time has come to make the decision.
it has been 12 months now since the left mastectomy and I have been through radiotherapy.
so check up time came with my surgeon and she sent me for a memogram and Ultra sound.
when that came back cancer free she decided to do a fine needle biopsy on two areas in the right breast.
so during the biopsy the Dr had to do two needle biopsies and two core biopsies and he believes they are cysts. I was told from my oncologist that I will probably have to have biopsies every check up time for the rest of my life.
so my decision is to have the right breast off so I don't have to worry about the tests and if it is cancer to go through the treatment again.
Has anyone gone through the same thing about making this decision?. - LynJoanMemberHi TonyaM, I can really understand your decision after having the treatment twice already. That is what I am trying to decide to avoid.I went through the mastectomy really well with no problems and recovered quickly.
I will really look into it more when the time comes to see my specialist.
Thank you for your post and hope all goes well with you - TonyaMMemberHi LynJoan, my motto is- if you are not sure then don't do it.There's no rush- it's more major surgery and perhaps you need more time to decide.It's six of one,half a dozen of the other.I'm 61 and have lived with one breast for the last 7years. I'm used to it now but I don't like it.I sometimes think of having the other breast off or even doing reconstruction but until I'm sure, I'll stay put. I had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the same breast(2003 and then again in 2010) with all the treatments twice over. So I'm not about to put myself through big surgery unless I'm truly ready. Good luck with your decision.
- LynJoanMemberHi BoraBora
Yes sometimes hindsight would be a good thing.
That is what I am afraid of, so when I see my surgeon in September do I say take it off now because I can't stand the worry of it, or leave it for another time to continue thinking about it.
thank you all for your support with this as I know you all have your own worries, but it is such a help to read all your posts - BoraBoraMemberHi LynJoan I had lumpectomy & radiation 16 years ago and was diagnosed again last year in both breasts. Had a double mastectomy but have had lots of issues with irradiated side. Everything is clearer in hindsight but I wish I had removed a healthy breast rather than a diseased one and all that that entails. x
- LynJoanMemberNo I still am undecided about this, my mind keeps going over it, should I, shouldn't I.
But I will make the decision when the time comes
thank you for your support.