Forum Discussion
Lozzy
11 years agoMember
Hi all,
This my first time here. I was diagnosed on the 9th of June. I am now booked in for Surgery on Monday the 29th for Wide local Excision & Sentinel Node Bx. This is what my surgeon thinks is best. I have faith in him. However I wonder if I should just have a mastectomy. Would love to hear from anyone on this. It has been such a rollercoaster ride. I'm so scared. Loz
14 Replies
Hello Lozzy, Your post brought back memories to me, I had a similar diagnosis, operation and treatment 7 years ago. I hope you are coping well, you will find radiotherapy will make you tired, listen to the people looking after you and do what is suggested as to after care. You will be through and out the other side before you know. I am doing very well now and hope to continue that way, all the best
- LozzyMember
Tracey, Yes my team have been fantastic I have had CT and Full bone scans done. They are very important people who I have faith in, they have been honest and sincere with me with all their advice. Thank you Loz
- LozzyMember
Karen, Your story gave me so much to think about. I do have the My Journey kit and there is so much valuable information it. I have faith in my team and feel better for it. Thank you. Loz x
- LozzyMember
Thank you Deb I am feeling much better for hearing your story. To know that we are all in it together seems to give me so much courage. Loz
- LozzyMember
Thanks Jackie for sharing your story with me. I have found it so helpful to just hear from you and know that I am not alone. Loz
- Cook65Member
Sorry Lozzie, the iPad froze half way through my post. As the other girls say, definitely take someone with you to your appointments. Write down your questions to ask the specialist. Make another appointment to see the specialist if needs be. Just be prepared that sometimes it doesn't go to plan and sometimes they do have to go back in. That's just how it happens sometimes. Good luck with the surgery. Let us know how you get on. Karen xox
- Cook65Member
Hi Lozzy, welcome to the club but sorry you've had to join us. When my surgeon said I had cancer my first reaction and words were "lob em both off! I want it gone." I ended up having quite a lengthy discussion with the surgeon as to why he thought lumpectomy would be better and made my decision from there. The surgeon agreed that he would do a double mastectomy if that was what I decided on but after going through all of my options and the reasoning behind them, I opted for a lumpectomy. It is so confronting and you wonder if you have made the right decision but in the end you can only make a decision at the time based on the information you have. Ask the surgeon questions and get as much info as you can so that you can feel confident in the decision you make.
- Hazel_MMember
Hi Lozzy, when I saw my surgeon for the first time, I fully expected to have to have a mastectomy, and when he told me I would have a choice, I was so stressed and didn't know which way to step. I had 2 tumors which were in one quadrant of my left breast, as he explained it, he believed he could remove them and get clear margins and as I am a big breasted woman he said I wouldn't notice where they had been. As it turned out, everything he promised he delivered. Now, that doesn't always happen, there are many things that could of not gone to plan. I did put my faith in him as he was the expert, if things hadn't gone my way, I can honestly say I wouldn't have regretted it as I had made a decision on the facts I had at that time. That's all we can do really, gather the facts and make informed decisions. It's really scary and I can understand the way you're feeling. I wish you all the best with whatever surgery you have, take care,
Hazel xx
- MelhayMember
Hi Loz,
I was diagnosed 1.5 weeks ago & initially thought about having a mastectomy too.
I changed my mind however following my1st Specialist appointment when my surgeon explained the pros & cons of having a mastectomy & reconstruction vs breast conservation (lumpectomy/ radiation). It also made me realise how lucky I am (so far) to be able to choose rather than have to have the whole breast removed due to the type or extent of the Cancer.
Yes it's scary & hard to decide which way to go, but at the end of the day you need to do what's right for you, your body & your lifestyle :)
Take Care
Mel xx
- rivergumMember
Hi Lozzy
I expected immediate mastectomy but went with the surgeon's recommendation of a lumpectomy first and had the margins been clear I would have been delighted with the result. It is a good strategy.
Cheers