Hurdles

Options
LadyDemon
LadyDemon Member Posts: 13
edited October 2014 in Health and wellbeing
The say that we are given challenges to test us. I have had some that I would prefer not to have experienced.after my last blog my dearly beloved sister passed away in her sleep. This was indeed a shock and hurdle that I was not expecting. I am now at peace once again now that I have recovered from my ops and my sister is now at peace.

I am ready to face the challenge of BC. I believe I am mentally ready for this. Saying that I am also nervous of facing the unknown. My first chemo session starts tomorrow with FEC100. I would love to hear from those who have been in the same boat.

Jackie

Comments

• Kylou76
    Kylou76 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jackie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister.

I've had 2 rounds of FEC with 1 more than I'm having 3 rounds of D.

I found that the more fluid you drink the better you feel, I'm not normally a big water drinker but I try to have 2 - 3 litres a day for the first 3 days. When I've had enough of the water I add a little ginger cordial (this also helps with the nauseousness). I found that fatigue was the hardest thing to deal with during my first cycle. For about 10 days I was zapped but after that I felt like I was back to normal. This second cycle I have been a bit more nauseous and needing a nap during the day time but all in all it could be a lot worse and for that I am grateful. 

I was also advised to brush my teeth after each meal and rinse my mouth with water and bi-carb soda. They told me to make up a glass of water with 1/2 tsp of bi-carb and use it throughout the day.

I wish you all the best for your chemo xxx

• Lorraine Steele
    Lorraine Steele Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have been recently diagnosed with this kind of breast cancer, I had my 1st chemo 2 days ago, only have had a little nausea, none today thank God. I live alone as I lost my partner of 33 years with eosophagus cancer just 20 months ago, and lost my only sister 1 month later, she had a lot of problems and then got liver cancer.

It is very hard facing going to the same clinic my partner had been treated at, but I am staying as positive. I am able to have the herceptin drug later as I am HER2 positive.

My youngest daughter is a doctor and found that I had this cancer, so it was very hard for her as she had to tell her 2 older sisters that Mum has breast cancer. They are giving me as much support as they can. 

I would love to keep in touch with someone with this same cancer.

Thank you

• LadyDemon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dear ladies, thank you for your kind comments. My first day wasn't that great. My ocncologist went a bit cautious with me due to my history of diabetes type II. Treatment went well. I ended up with severe nausing and migraines, at ermergency later that night to get it all under control. Feeling a lot better now that I home again, just tired now.
  • Lorraine Steele
    Lorraine Steele Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Lady Demon,

I am sorry you are having a bad time with your treatment, I too have diabetes type 2 for nearly 19 years. My ist treatment has been OK so far, I had it 21/10/14. I was a little ill yesterday, but today I have had no nausea, Maybe my next one in 3 weeks will be worse, I am just not sure, my only problem is I am waking up early in the morning like 2am and then cannot go back to sleep, which is worrying me. I have been out of bed 10 to 5am this morning yesterday morning it 25 to 5am. I like to have more sleep than that, I do take a lot of other medications too. Because of all the cancer in my family, it is so hard, especially when the 2nd november comes it will be 42 years since I lost my little son David at 2 1/2 years old with Neuroblastoma, I didn't have any children with my 2nd partner, I hope you have a lot of support as I have 3 daughters and 1 son who lives in a different state to me. I live in NSW where do you live? I really would love to hear from you and help you in any way I can.

• LadyDemon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lorraine, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your son, I can only imagine how disheartening this was for you. I haven't had any issues with sleeping, actually over the first 5 days I was sleeping 11 hr nights and 2-3 hrs during the day. Nausea was my main problem. I live in Vic and would appreciate your support xx regards Jackie