Only just beginning...decisions & choices!

Options
Barbara.Smith.
Barbara.Smith. Member Posts: 9
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone,

I am 59 yr old grandmother of 11, my heart goes out to all the mums going through cancer whilst having to care for young children, I truly feel for all of you.

I was just diagnosed 23 September, & that knocked my socks off! I had invasive ductile carcinoma 7mm found during yearly mammogram. I wanted bi lateral mastectomy straight away but Dr talked me around. So I had lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed.
Nodes are clear, waiting till 27th for results of lumpectomy, margins etc.

It's the waiting that kills I have read lots of your blogs here to prepare myself with as much info as possible I am supposed to have radiation in a month, but now wish I had the mastectomy to avoid radiation.

Oh well I just have to wait another week.

Keep you posted x.
Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed in September of last year.I am a 59 year old also,and like you,I was knocked for six when I found out I had BC.My diagnosis was the same as yours,but I had a larger cancer.I chose a single mastectomy and then had chemo.One year on,I feel better than I ever have.I feel it is really important to be guided by your doctor,as each cancer has its own unique pathology,and the doctor is the one that truly understands this.Try to remember Barbara,that BC these days is very treatable,and most ladies go on to live long,healthy lives.Invasive ductal carcinoma is the most common BC at our age.It is great news that your nodes are clear.Mine were also.Stay in touch on here,as you will find that this network of AMAZING ladies,is the best place to get the support you need throughout your treatment.Cheers xox Robyn
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options

Robyn is right when she says that our doctors are in the best position to give guidance about what is the best way to treat your cancer. Everybody has different circumstances which effect treatment options. Australia has a terrific medical system and we are very fortunate that most of us will have the recommended treatment and never have to deal with BC again!

I had radiotherapy last year as part of my treatment. The staff were absolutely wonderful and felt like good friends looking after me. It is the thought of the unknown that is the hardest part of this and soon you will know what to expect and this will make it easier. You do get a bit tired towards the end of radio and you need to be vigilant with the cream. Putting a wet washer into the fridge and then putting this onto the radiated area when you get home each day is very soothing. There are lots of ladies who will be able to share their tips to make your treatment easier. Keep in touch. Deanne xxx

• Barbara.Smith.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Robyn it is good to talk to people in similar situations as family & friends are supportive but don't actually know what you go through. I am very fortunate to have a large supportive family & feel very sorry for others dealing with this that don't.
    But I guess I am always second guessing the doctors worrying about side effects!
    Good to talk to you Robyn xox.
  • Barbara.Smith.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Deanne for the tips, I think I have read a few of your posts and did read the one about the wet washer sounds like a brilliant idea will definitely do that!
    I think I am just freaking out as I usually don't even like to take pain killers! So I will just take it one hurdle at a time, I know there are so many women on this site with a lot more to deal with.
    I will keep visiting the site to chat to you guys.
    Take care & thank you xox
  • mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Its such a shock when the doctor says those words to us but like the ladies have said its treatable. I too had the same and like you had breast conserving surgery, however I had chemo then radiation so you see we are all different and it does depend on your pathology results as to the path the doctor takes.

Recently I attended a BCNA seminar and a psycologist gave a talk on pain killers, so many of us shy away from them but her attitude was, why live with thye pain when there is a solution. Good thinking I say.

Take care

Donna

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Its such a shock when the doctor says those words to us but like the ladies have said its treatable. I too had the same and like you had breast conserving surgery, however I had chemo then radiation so you see we are all different and it does depend on your pathology results as to the path the doctor takes.

Recently I attended a BCNA seminar and a psycologist gave a talk on pain killers, so many of us shy away from them but her attitude was, why live with thye pain when there is a solution. Good thinking I say.

Take care

Donna

• Barbara.Smith.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Donna for your reply, yes I know my treatment will depend on what my results are on Monday, I will want to know all the ins and outs before I start a treatment, so I can weigh up my decision what to do. Most strong pain killers make me sick usually the only thing I can tolerate is panadol so I do worry about the nausea etc.
    Hope you are well now,
    Take care
    Barbara x
  • Barbara.Smith.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your reply that was helpful, it's good to hear that we do have a say and can make a decision on our treatment, mine is my right side but last year I had core biopsy on left side so now I think I am paranoid & would prefer a double mastectomy as I think it will always be on my mind as I still get pain in my left one where the lump was. And 2 years previous I had needle biopsy on left so I had been having yearly mammograms for a while that was how this was caught so early.
    So I will just have to wait for my results Monday then decide :(
    Thanks again, take care,
    Barbara.
  • Mita
    Mita Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a lumpectomy for a left-breast breast cancer that turned out to be a slow-growing type which had not spread to the lymph glands.  Next step advised by the surgeon was to have radiation.

But it dawned on me, the radiation would reach my heart & I have a bio-tissue heart valve.   When I brought that up with the medical oncologist, she agreed with me... that a single mastectomy would have the same outcomes, but would avoid radiation.  Her advice was to go back & speak to the surgeon and also consult with the radiation oncologist.  The surgeon agreed that it was the best option for me to avoid the radiation.... because he said the left-breast radiation would reach the heart.  The radiation oncologist was brilliant, too, and backed that decision.  

So I then had the mastectomy & no radiation.  Went very well, no cancer was found in any of the tissue removed.  Then the medical oncologist put me on the estrogen-blocker, Femara, because the tumour was estrogen positive.  I've been on Femara a few months now & haven't had any side effects yet.  

I noticed that the Information Booklet given out at the Mater Private Hospital where I'm being treated actually says that that one reason women might choose mastectomy is to avoid radiation.  I think it's something to be talked over with the treatment team.  In my case, it was clear-cut.... not wise to have radiation on left breast with a bio-tissue heart valve underneath.   I hope all goes well with you & the decisions you make in collaboration with your doctors.  There's sure heaps of support from other women on this BCNA site.

• Barbara.Smith.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Mita for taking the time to answer me.
    The more you read the better off you are I think to make informed decisions. The worst is the waiting for results!
    I read a good book "Breast Cancer your Treatment Choices" by a London oncologist. That explained all the treatments and how to weigh up your decisions. I feel easier about radiation therapy after reading it and he stressed that it is always your choice and even if you agree to a treatment you can stop if you decide to.
    Hope you are healthy now :)
    Take care,
    Barbara