The next step!

Options
Alpal
Alpal Member Posts: 196
edited October 2014 in Health and wellbeing

I am now 5 weeks post surgery and beginning my first chemo treatment this coming Tuesday (7/10/14).  Am approaching this process optimistically, but aware that it's going to be yet another challenging time.  I read other people's blogs about how sick they've been but know that we just have to face it anyway - one day at a time and hopefully maintaining my sense of humour and smile thoughout!

In preparation for the inevitable hair loss, I visited the wig library at Gosford hospital last week with a friend and tried on a vast array - some looked absolutely hysterical on me, so provided lots of laughs.  I finally chose one, then my lovely hairdresser friend cut off my long, curly locks and created a trendy short style instead - I love it!  Should have had this short style ages ago.  Also borrowed a variety of caps, turbans and scarves from the library - such a wonderful service run by volunteers and a huge variety to choose from.  There is no charge and many of the wigs/scarves are brand new - hugely appreciated.  

I've also been using a nail hardener to hopefully preserve my nails, and have painted them a nice bright pink.  Have also purchased the pink cap and polo shirt from BCNA to support breast cancer awareness month and celebrate pink sisterhood!

I only have to endure 4 chemo treatments over the next few months, so regard myself as very fortunate.  If anyone has any other tips for managing the side effects, I'd love to hear them. 

I have been attending weekly physio treatments to treat cording (axillary web syndrome) that developed under my left arm pit and down my arm as an unfortunate side effect of sentinel node removal.  Am finally starting to get some relief and more movement - yay!!

Hope you're all travelling well xox

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your chemo is exactly as mine was,I just didn't say cyclophosphamide! The Dexamethasone is a steroid,that keeps you feeling very energetic and ' normal' for the first few days,and it's also hard to sleep.When you stop taking it,that is when the fatigue creeps in.Like you,I didn't have radiotherapy either.Also,get some Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash from the chemist,and use it obsessively,like EVERY time you eat something.You don't want to get mouth ulcers,and I found this so much better than bicarbonate or salt water rinsing.Cheers Robyn.
  • Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 196
    edited March 2015
    Options

Unfortunately my first chemo hasn't been great. I've just come home from 4 days in hospital recovering from dreadful vomiting and diarrhea which started the 2nd night after the chemo. Won't bore you with the details but it sure is good to be home. Still feeling unwell, of course, but nothing compared to that awful few days. Trying not to think about the next round - that's 2 whole weeks away, thank goodness!  Xxx