Get Connected Day!

Options
Daina_BCNA
Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
edited March 2011 in Day to day

Hi all!

Welcome to all our new members!

The purpose of the Get Connected post is to provide a place where new and existing members can introduce themselves to assist in widening their connections.

We are inviting you to either leave a comment here, or to make a post in your own blog. If you are new to the network don't be nervous about giving it a go -- you can't really break anything, and you might make a whole bunch of new friends :-)

What to do...

Comment to this post (use the comment form at the bottom of the page) with a short note about yourself and who you're looking to connect to.  Easy!

Post in your blog select 'My blog' button in your pink profile panel (right of the page) and 'create new post'. Easy!

If you find someone with similar experiences to you, who you'd like to connect to, then just click their username and you will end up on their profile page.  Then all you need to do is look on the left side of the page under their picture and you'll see an "add contact" link and follow the prompts.

Why connect to others?

One of the good things about connecting to others, is that all of their blog posts will show up on your homepage in a reading list.  So if you haven't visited the site in a few days, you'll still see what everyone is up to!

Important note

Remember to check your own privacy settings on your "edit" page. There's no need to reveal anything personal or private, but if you want others to connect to you, you should make some of your Profile settings "public" so others can see them and find out a bit about you (eg. 'my story', 'about' me' and 'breast cancer experience'). 

If you're not sure what to do, you might like to read this post on how to change your privacy settings

Have fun!

Daina

(if you want to go back and browse the old 'get connected posts' to find out a bit more about our members, just click on the 'get connected' tag).

Comments

• nelly
    nelly Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi :)  My name is Janelle, and I was recently diagnosed with DCIS in my left breast.  I had a partial masectomy and I'm starting radiotherapy next week.  I'm at a loss with the DCIS - I don't have breast cancer, but I've had the treatments associated with it, and I feel a bit like a breast cancer fraud (I borrowed that term from a wonderful breast care nurse).  I understand that I am lucky, but its hard to feel grateful each day when I look at how my body has changed (but trust me, I read the stories here, I DO know it).

I am 39 years old, and lucky enough to be the mother of four beautiful children.  Following a miscarriage last year, my husband and I thought we would add to our family this year (addicted to babies!).  When I raised the issue with my surgeon, he advised that pregnancy is not recommended for up to two years following b/c treatment, including the treatment I have had, meaning of course that I will be two years older (age always an issue with pregnancy).

Is anyone in a similar situation?  Or had a pregnancy following treatment?  What was the advice you were given?

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janelle,

Wow, you have definitely got your hands full :-)

It might help you to connect with those who have similar experiences and to do this I would firstly suggested checking your privacy settings and updating the 'My story' section of your profile.

You may also find it useful to search the BCNA website to see who else may have a similar experience to you. Example; - DCIS search, http://www.bcna.org.au/search/node/DCIS

From the results you should find others to connect with or it may be a chance for you to set up an online interest group for those diagnosed with DCIS.

The Help section of the website might also be useful - http://www.bcna.org.au/help

Welcome and please ask any questions.

Daina

• Heidihoe
    Heidihoe Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janelle,

I have 3 children and had my 3rd after thyroid cancer, but it was 2 and a half years after surgery and radiation I was also told not for at least a year!

I had trouble with the pregnancy and birth, we didn't think we'd get him as he wasn't growing in utero and then flatlinned and cut out at 37weeks and 3 days, alive. He's 4 yrs old now and loud and active!!!!

I have lost 2 babies since and want another but think my time has run out as I'm 41yrs old now and once over 40!!!!! All down hill and far more difficult.

It is so hard because we don't always get what we want, and sometimes nature takes it away from us, I'm struggling with this right now. Over 40 yrs old you have about a 5% chance in a year to fall pregnant and higher at risk for all the things to go wrong. My obstertrician said I had to set a date up until which I try and then stop after that! I only have 4-5 months left and that probably equates to about 1% chance, hey but I keep trying.  Good luck with it all we are all different and maybe you can do some research online about pregnancy post cancer and see what you can find.  All the very best. Heidi

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options

Firstly may I say that all of you ladies are amazing!  I joined the network not long after my diagnosis and found your posts so supportive, inspirational and informative.

So I thought it was time to introduce myself. Hi my name is Ann-Marie, I am 42, married and have 2 daughters – 11 and 8 yrs. I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 15th March 20011.  2 days later I had surgery – wide excision and sentinel node biopsy. 3 nodes were positive and only 1mm clearance of the lump, so back in 8 days later for re-excision and more nodes taken.  Good news was that the rest of the nodes were clear but more cancer found in what looked like ordinary breast tissue.  Back again 6 days later for mastectomy and tissue expander inserted. 3 op’s in 14 days really took it out of me but I have recovered well and enjoyed an Easter holiday with my family.

Onto treatment, I started Chemo on Monday 3x FEC and 3x Taxotere.  This has been the scariest thing so far!!!  I struggled to walk through the doors and could not stop crying.  Everyone was great – my husband, the nurses and my oncologist got me through it with magic pills, hugs and jokes.  I stayed in overnight and got a fairly good rest.  Feeling okay today – it’s like a hangover without the party. 1 down 5 to go! 

I guess my next meltdown will come with the hair loss but I am preparing for that.  My profile pic shows me last week when I bought my wig – it looks exactly the same as my hair usually looks.  I’ve also bought some hats.

This is such a surreal experience – I wasn’t sick to start with and now I have to get sick to get better.  But I will get through this! 

• Heidihoe
    Heidihoe Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2015
    Options

To Ann-Marie,

It sounds like it has been a whirlwind over Easter!

In a way it was good it all happened so fast so you can move on with next stage and not waste time thinking about other stuff it's already in the past and now time to look to the future!!!!

Wishing you all the best in your journey.

Hang onto that loving family

XX