... and no-one could tell ....

Options
June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
edited September 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all,

We had visitors yesterday.  I wore my Berlei bra and soft form from BCNA.

One visitor said "when do you have your operation, I thought it was before this?".  (Note:  everyone looked on in disgust that the touchy subject had been mentioned).

Me:  "Done!  Four weeks ago".

Visitor :  "No.  Weren't they going to remove your boob ?".

Me:  "Yes !".

Then began the guessing game of exactly which boob was the fake - and in the end there was a brief demonstration of 'rightie' to interested ladies.

The fear was gone for some ladies who did not expect that even the temporary breast would be so good.  If it happened to them they all said they could accept it now.

So, all in all a good thing.

Hope this post helps someone else out there.

Regards
Summer

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you feel this confident now you will be amazed when you get the proper prosthesis. I have always tried to be very open about my mastectomy in the hope that it will take some of the fear out of the equation for others. With a couple of pretty mastectomy bras you can feel very feminine and ok about it all. No one can tell unless you want them to know! :) Deanne xxx
  • June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne

Thank you for your comment !

I am not always so confident but as some of the ladies don't even go to Breastscreen I thought it was a fairly important moment.  One has already made a booking in the hope that if she has an issue it is caught early and she can be treated quickly with minimal hassles.

I thought having serious osteoarthritis and depression was my medical challenge in life - not to be !  Ho hum.  One never knows what life will bring.  My Mother, who was an 'uncontrolled' diabetic lived until she was 95.

Can you tell me what sort of prosthesis you have and the timeline for measurement ?  Also, what brand bras do you find are good ?

Thanks.  Off to remove the washing from the line .... nice and dry as it is sooooo windy here ......

Summer

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have an Amoena Energy Light 2S for normal wear and an Amoena Aqua Wave for swimming (also good in a sports bra as it does not sit against your skin and the air flow is better).

I have mostly Amoena bras and find them very comfortable. They have a large range where I went to be fitted (Spirit of Life Boutique in Brisbane). I ended up with t-shirt bras, sports bras and a couple of pretty lacey ones. They were no more expensive than the bras i used to buy! The usual time to be fitted for your prosthesis is around the 6 week mark if all the swelling has settled.

Sounds like you were being a good friend prompting others to look out for their health. I know a lot of my friends went off for mammograms after I was diagnosed. I don't mind being open about things in case it helps someone else. You want some good to come out of these things! Hope everything goes well and you find some nice bras and a comfortable breast form. I felt great walking out of the store in my new bra and form.
    Take care. Deanne xxx
  • June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you very much for your info re Amoena gear.  I have seen their website and can be fitted only 25 kms from home so that is good.  The shop does not stock much but the lady can order anything you want.

I did not think the Energy Light was worn against the skin so that is good info.  I understood the only ones that do not HAVE to have a pocketted bra are the Contact range.

Glad to hear about the lingerie as I will need some extras, especially for when going out and I want to feel special.  I just wish they had a few matching undies which were higher than a bikini !

It is just over 4 weeks for me but with three surgeries in four days there is more than 'normal' swelling and deep bruising so I won't rush it, especially as the Berlei one will do the job for the minute.

Keep posting as you do give heaps of support on a range of subjects.

Kind regards

Summer

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't very clear with my explanation. You do wear both these forms in a pocketed bra but the pockets are made out of open weave material and the air flow is better with the swim form because it is hollowed out to allow the water to flow through in your swimmers. It doesn't press the pocket against your skin so much. :)
  • June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I have not actually seen the Amoena lingerie so do not know how they are constructed.  You have given me a lot of information which I can use when I go for my fitting.  This may be some time off as I saw my GP today and he said to wait 12 months for the swelling to go down !!

I am not a swimmer as I have a real fear of water from being chucked in as a kid but one never knows, I may need to get a swim form one day !

Thanks again.  Hope your day is a good one.

Summer