New diagnosis of secondary BC - metastatic bone

Options
Nick
Nick Member Posts: 9
edited September 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hello everyone,

Well 3 years after being diagnosed with EBC (Her2+), Metastatic breast cancer has appeared in the bone (femur). After limping for 7 months, I had a fall mopping the floor and when I was operated on for a fractured femur they found metastatis in the femur.

After 8 weeks in hospital, been back at home for 2 weeks and have started my 1st chemo treatment yesterday, the realization of it all is sinking in. I have had ups and downs since returning home, but having great support from family and friends, doing daily meditation and yoga, as well as some vizualization and art therapy, I am feeling hopefull that I can beat this thing. I will beat it!

Still, having the oncologist tell me about being on chemo for 4-6 months, and receiving Herceptin for the rest of my life (ouch!) as well as other meds monthly for 2 years (foget the name - helps reduce calcium in the blood), was a bit daunting...  Also, a pet scan has shown some "hot spots" on my spine... Still I power on, and think with everything I do along with the traditional treatments, it empowers me to live a full and meaningful life, and not worry too much about the "how many years left to live", "what if's", etc... I believe to make the most of this present day is what is most important, and also to have a sense that I have a major part in my healing process. 

I would love to hear about anything that has empowered you ladies in this journey, and/ or any advice you might have to help with the bone pain. It's nice to know there is this group that we can express and share, and that with each others help, we can grow stronger and wiser :)

May you all be happy and at peace,

Annick

P.S. Also, I have tried ice therapy for preventing neuropathy, do any of you have experience with this preventative therapy or any other as I have a bit of neuropathy leftover from chemo 3 years ago (EC & Taxol) and I just don't want it to get any worse, if I can help it. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Nick,

Just read your Blog post from Sept. this year. Why am I replying to a Blog on New Year's Eve? On Monday I heard news I did not want to hear - I have a small cyst with cancer cells where they removed lymph nodes three years ago. In that time they've checked the liver, lung, thyroid, pancreas and all have been 'clear' but the recent fine needle biopsy showed 'those' cells. My oncologist said the Herceptin will contain it. Hard to hear as I want 'elininate' or 'kill'.

I've been on Herceptin for 3yrs 3 mths as well as taking anastrozole daily. The fatigue is a real nuisance and I find social events very tiring. I seem to have cycles of mouth ulcers, headaches and severe fatigue. My nails flake and split - I pretend I'm a pianist for that one. The worst side effect is peripheral neuropathy of my feet which started about 15 mths ago and arrived overnight - excruciating pain in the soles of my feet - it took both my GP and Oncologist 12mths to pay attention and I'm now on Celebrex twice a day which makes a huge difference - I can walk! I felt so good I joined the gym and use the walking machine and do weights.

What keeps me going? I'm  very careful about sharing my 'news' and do not apologise for down days or cancelling an outing. I like 'me' time and read, sew, crochet, cuppa with a friend - all low key and at my pace. I like to take a practical approach and focus on the task at hand, ie,  this is what I'm doing right now. I also know that life is full of mysteries and we just never really know what tomorrow will bring - however, I do work on what I call 'futuring' myself by planning what I will make next or the next meal with friends. If we don't do that then we are living in limbo and that's not healthy.

I also changed my diet and went to a Naturopath - but that is expensive and I balance my budget to manage.

I have infusions every three weeks and one woman who attends the same day as I do has been on Herceptin  for three years - she had a masectomy with an outbreak in her collar bone which is 'contained' and has been all this time. She did have a bad reaction with her heart and her energy is down. Yes, I had a radical masectomy of left breast Dec. 2011.

Another positive is the excellent health care I receive as a public patient in a city hospital - I believe it must be amongst the best in the world.

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Nick,

Just read your Blog post from Sept. this year. Why am I replying to a Blog on New Year's Eve? On Monday I heard news I did not want to hear - I have a small cyst with cancer cells where they removed lymph nodes three years ago. In that time they've checked the liver, lung, thyroid, pancreas and all have been 'clear' but the recent fine needle biopsy showed 'those' cells. My oncologist said the Herceptin will contain it. Hard to hear as I want 'elininate' or 'kill'.

I've been on Herceptin for 3yrs 3 mths as well as taking anastrozole daily. The fatigue is a real nuisance and I find social events very tiring. I seem to have cycles of mouth ulcers, headaches and severe fatigue. My nails flake and split - I pretend I'm a pianist for that one. The worst side effect is peripheral neuropathy of my feet which started about 15 mths ago and arrived overnight - excruciating pain in the soles of my feet - it took both my GP and Oncologist 12mths to pay attention and I'm now on Celebrex twice a day which makes a huge difference - I can walk! I felt so good I joined the gym and use the walking machine and do weights.

What keeps me going? I'm  very careful about sharing my 'news' and do not apologise for down days or cancelling an outing. I like 'me' time and read, sew, crochet, cuppa with a friend - all low key and at my pace. I like to take a practical approach and focus on the task at hand, ie,  this is what I'm doing right now. I also know that life is full of mysteries and we just never really know what tomorrow will bring - however, I do work on what I call 'futuring' myself by planning what I will make next or the next meal with friends. If we don't do that then we are living in limbo and that's not healthy.

I also changed my diet and went to a Naturopath - but that is expensive and I balance my budget to manage.

I have infusions every three weeks and one woman who attends the same day as I do has been on Herceptin  for three years - she had a masectomy with an outbreak in her collar bone which is 'contained' and has been all this time. She did have a bad reaction with her heart and her energy is down. Yes, I had a radical masectomy of left breast Dec. 2011.

Another positive is the excellent health care I receive as a public patient in a city hospital - I believe it must be amongst the best in the world.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear Beryl,

Thanks for your email. I wish you the best with healing those unhealthy cells where they removed lymph nodes. 

regarding mouth ulcers, I have found myhrr to be very helpful. It comes in a liquid concentrate form. Fatgue, yes I can relate, as chemo takes its toll on enery and strentgh...

Thanks for the Celebrex info. I have not heard of it... I will keep it in mind. Good that you have joined the gym. Exercise is so benificial, on so many levels. When my femur heals a bit more, I will also join the gym again. I do a bit of yoga, physio and walking, and it helps a great deal.

You seem to have a really good attitude and I share your outlook on energy and respecting how we feel, not apologizing, not shraing too much with people, etc... being in the present moment, enjoying today, but also making plans and looking to the future.

Take good care, and may you be happy and at peace.

Annick