Wigless

Options
Hazel M
Hazel M Member Posts: 708
edited August 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Ladies, haven't been on the site for a while, not on a regular basis anyway.

Well, my doctor didn't clear me for work earlier this month because of my brain still being a bit foggy. I blamed Armidex but apparently it's leftover from chemo and it is clearing somewhat now with exercise and doing puzzles etc.

I was getting quite worried there for a while and I asked if it could be dementia! When the doctor finished laughing:) he said no.

I then asked if people with dementia know they have it because well, they have it and are not thinking straight. He politely explained that he does a lot of work in nursing homes and yes they do know in the early stages and no I definitely don't have it.

That cleared that up. Anyway, back to the title of my blog, I woke up one day a week ago and I was going out with my partner to visit friends and just decided that I didn't want to wear my wig or a scarf or anything on my head.

I asked my partner what he thought and he replied 'whatever you are comfortable with I'm happy with'. Felt very strange at first, then I just felt free.

Since then I have had lunch with a work friend at a restaurant and one of the staff overheard me saying how I was trying to be brave and she apologised for interrupting and but felt she had to say I looked stylish and chic. Made my day really, I think because it was a stranger and not family or friends who are always supportive.

Due back to my GP in early September to assess the work situation and I'm seriously thinking when I return I might be able to return wigless.

My strength is returning quicker now and my partner has commented he is seeing glimpses of my old self returning.

Have been on Armidex for 10 weeks with no nasty side effects so life is looking good for me at this time.

To all the ladies going through treatment and wondering if life will ever be the same again, I can say no, it won't be exactly the same BUT once you find your 'new normal' it can be wonderful.

I had lots of issues during treatment, had to be dragged kicking and screaming through some of it:) My partner developing an illness halfway through put so much stress on us and frankly I didn't know if we were going to make it through, We did and are much stronger for it.

When I look at this website and how much heartache there can be at times, I am aware that whether I wear a wig or not is insignificent in the big scheme of things.

Basically, I just wanted to reassure anyone who may be wondering if any normality returns, it does.

One step at a time, take care 

Hazel xx

Comments

• Merlins mum
    Merlins mum Member Posts: 443
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So good yo hear you confident and happy

Love Julie
  • saphire
    saphire Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Hazel

I was just reading your blog and made me a bit more inspired I am having a bad time of it first treatment of of chemo and can't imgine going back for the next treatment so I can see how you didn't want it. I have had so many bad reactions to this awful chemo I am just praying they don't get more intense each time

Thanks for your hope again xxxxx

• saphire
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Hazel

I was just reading your blog and made me a bit more inspired I am having a bad time of it first treatment of of chemo and can't imgine going back for the next treatment so I can see how you didn't want it. I have had so many bad reactions to this awful chemo I am just praying they don't get more intense each time

Thanks for your hope again xxxxx

• JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Hazel! Good for you for going wigless! Its an awesome feeling isnt it? :)

I too have been going wigless for about 5 weeks now. I even went on a small holiday and didnt pack it :)

I was once a brunette with waist length hair before I shaved for chemo. Now im a blonde ( have coloured it) and liking the short style. My hair is so so thick from not wearing my wig now :)

YAY for us :)

• Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sapphire,
    Yes chemo sucks but it will be over and life will move on past it. I am 7 months post chemo and hardly ever think about it now. It is all consuming at the time. I had 4 rounds of TC so not as much as some. Ate lots of manuka honey and got exercise when I could. Keep up the anti nausea meds and the steroids as prescribed. Sleep lots. Stay on here. The support was invaluable for me.
    Love. Julie
  • saphire
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi to you too Yes I am having TC but had lots of reactions while starting chemo on the day and reactions to the drug after it .. Just wondering what does th Manuka Honey do for you

The steroids are terrible I am over hyped on them and can't sleep for those days I am on it,  still not sleeping much now even with sleeping tablets.

Yes I am also having 4 treatments also . Yes I will stay on the forum I have learnt so much and will endeavour to learn more, even though I understand everybody's experience is different, I agree the support is so precious

Love Karen

• Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think I bored people rigid with my blogs on this when I went thru chemo. I took the high umf one to help prevent mouth ulcers and sore throat. Also sucked lemonade Popsicles while the taxol went thru. Had ice gloves on my hands and used to take bags of frozen peas in a little chilly bin for my toes. I looked a sight! They gave me strong antihistamine before each of my chemos and also a slug of the dreaded steroids. I got some burned veins out of it but not much else. I couldn't sleep well either on steroid days. It is just an is thing. It passes when you stop them. Hang in there. It won't be so bad next time. Love. Julie

• saphire
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

Yes I seem to have a lot of the same problems you faced so I will take all the things you said on board and it might make my life bearable. I have moo goo cream for my skin do the hardener on nails and black nail polish have all the tablets I need on stand-by gargle with salt water use biotene toothpaste even though I have false teeth.  Had iced gloves on with treatment.  I am on 6 days after chemo today. Does each treatment get worse or more side excessive in the side effects.

Love Karen Hugs

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you remember my blog post when I decided to go without head covers? It was the BEST feeling,and even now,I sometimes wish that my hair would just stop growing!!I am glad that you are doing well on Arimidex Hazel.I am on Tamoxifen,and it's not too bad either.Stay in touch Hazel.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Go Jodie::):):):):)
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you mind if I jump in here? Each treatment doesn't usually get worse,it's just that the effects are somewhat cumulative,so the tiredness may become more intense .But I think that the first one is the worst.After that,you sort of get in a rhythm,and know what to expect.Usually the 2nd and 3rd weeks are not too bad.I feel that the first 10 days are the worst.How are you doing today? Cheers xoxRobyn
  • saphire
    edited March 2015
    Options

absolutely terrible I am six days in I now need to take antihistimines as I have a rash all over my neck and my energy level is a shocker, trying to get a taste for food and that isn't even helping today and still no decent sleep.  I have never whinged so much in my whole 58 years

Cheers Karen

• Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will answer back on your original blog and stop hijacking Hazels one! Xx
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

I do remember when you decided to go without head covers and yes it is the best feeling. I have been catching up with family and friends over the last few days and therefore making an extra with make-up etc and I have heard so many positive comments. For so long now I have been thinking 'when are things going to get better?' and they have and I am in a good place right now. Thank you Robyn for all your positive comments, you are greatly appreciated on this website, I will certainly keep in touch, take care, 

Hazel xx