It's been so long!

Options
Annie13
Annie13 Member Posts: 110
edited August 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Wow, it has been nearly a year since I have written in my blog, and now over two years since my diagnosis, and so much has happened!

I have now had three surgeries on my left breast as each surgery has been no good! The breast either ended up to big, too small, too wide - you name it! I have therefore decided to switch plastic surgeons as I have just lost all faith! I'm not after anything flash, just boobs that are the same size to fit in a bra (I've been 'padding' now for nearly two years!!!). So my FINAL surgery to fix it will be mid-November with my new surgeon.

Unfortuantely I have to pay for this one, but that's ok as so far my BC journey hasn't cost me much at all so I figure it's an ok compromise. 2015 for me will be a new beginning :)

Last year I started paddling with Dragons Abreast Sydney and it is one of the best things I have ever done! It is an incredible group of women (and some men) who are caring, thoughtful and understanding. On top of that I've found a new sporting passion in dragon boat racing - who would have thought?! Next week I am off to Italy to take part in the World Club Crew Championships - amazing!!! To say I'm excited is an understatement! 

On the downside of things both my Aunt and Brother have found they are carriers of the BRCA-2 gene. For my brother it will mean concern about his children, however for my Aunt she unfortuantely found she had ovarian cancer.

It was aggresive and last week she had a radical hystererctomy and part of her bowel removed. Considering a month before that she didn't think anything was wrong it has been quite confronting. She is now recovering, and due to have chemo. She is a strong woman though, and has a fantastic outlook on things so I'm confident she will get through it all. 

On the upside, what I've come to realise is that although there were lots of incredibly difficult times, there have been so many 'positives' that have come from my BC journey. I have met some of the most amazing and inspirational women, I have learned to meditate and realised it's importance in my life, I have refocused on my health and fitness, I have become more charitable and regularaly give to the breast cancer community, and I have a renewed zest for life because we only have one!!!

I am in a good space right now and will continue on that way..............  : )

Comments

• jandy23
    jandy23 Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lovely to hear from you Annie. I remember you writing  about your treatment and how you were going as I think you were going through it all just a little after I did. Apart from the breast surgeries you sound like you are doing really well. I'm doing fine too and also putting lots of effort into staying fit and healthy - not dragon boat racing which sounds like a lot of fun - but gym work outs and fun runs. I'm feeling pretty good for it too.

Hope the next surgery works out for you. It must be very frustrating and draining to have to go through these surgeries repeatedly because the surgeon can't get it right. My right breast is slightly smaller then my left because of my tumor removal but I have decided to just live with it. It's not a big difference in my case and I don't think it's that noticeable. (well I hope it isn't) But I certainly would've wanted corrective surgery if there was a significant difference.

Enjoy your trip to Italy. Wow, I'm jealous! And I hope your aunt is okay too. Best of luck, Janet.

• Annie13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janet....nice to hear from you....

Glad to hear you are staying fit and healthy as well. I truly believe it makes a huge difference not only in recovering from surgery and treatment, but also generally in our mind set. 

The ongoing surgeries have just been a pain in the butt more than anything. I had the left breast mastectomy and immediate reconstruction and they said that will be the only surgery required. Well I"m now about to go into number four on that side! Anyway, hopefully it will be the last :)

I intend on having  a cracker of a time in Italy! I sort of feel like I've earned it for some reason!!!

Anyway, glad to hear things are going well for you, and take care :)

• Rosanna
    Rosanna Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Annie : time fly for 2 years already............. compare to you, seems mine case is "dont give a shit".  I like your attitude.  No doubt went through the treatment and take care myself day by day, you are very right... I change the way how I treat myself, and how the way to treat about "life".  It change my way of "seeing" people in another angle.

As I said, cancer wasn't that bad to me, because it make me change, it make me change the living attitude.

I am glad to know the website here, and ladies around here, we sharing the same experience, encourage each other, method, thinking, feeling...etc etc.

Annie, blessing you all the way through and you had a wonderful experience in Italy.

Xoxo...Rosanna (hugging)

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Annie, It's nice to see you back online and doing so good with your wellbeing and Italy.......! That is so exciting. Not so good about your Aunt or Brother though, but I am sure you will be right there to give as much support as you can.

~Daina

• Annie13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Rosanna.....were you in Randwick Women's Hospital around July last year??? I think I may have shared a room with you! :)

• Rosanna
    Rosanna Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Annie

I am in Gold Coast, and being treated this year???? I dont think we met face to face before, but it make no difference at all right?

Cheers