Countdown is on - the end of chemo

Options
Liztay82
Liztay82 Member Posts: 213
edited August 2014 in Health and wellbeing
I'm finally nearing the end of my chemo only 4 weeks left gone and dusted it's been quite a experience meet lovely nurses at redcliffe hospital I will still have my 3 weekly herception there though so they haven't got rid of me just yet. Have my appointment with my radiologist soon still haven't been given a appointment the oncologist I seen yesterday thought I had been seen by her but nope not yet so hopefully I get a appointment soon. So with radiation what's some tips and what happens on the first appointment do they give u more scans or just go straight to it. Well that's my update hope u lovely ladies are doing well with treatments

Comments

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Liz, and well done with your chemo.

I waited about 28 days after last round of chemo and had my bi lateral mastectomy and then wait a further 5 weeks for radiation to start. Over her in WA Royal Perth Hospital (public patient) I went in two weeks before the start and was marked up with tiny tatoos you cannot see with the naked eye, they said it takes that long to work out treatment and to set machine up. Radiation is painless but I did not sleep for the night before and then for a few nights after the start. I am like that, anything disburse my sleep. I have now done 9 they normal do it daily Mon to Fri. I am getting tired and yeh I notice a bit of discomfort and tightness all on my left side where I am having the treatment but it's much much better than chemo. I have noticed some chemo symptons creeping back like forgetfullness, not able to hold a converation fluently, forgetting my words or what we are talking about. Hope this helps and good luck.

Healing hugs coming your way

take care Sarah

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Liz, and well done with your chemo.

I waited about 28 days after last round of chemo and had my bi lateral mastectomy and then wait a further 5 weeks for radiation to start. Over her in WA Royal Perth Hospital (public patient) I went in two weeks before the start and was marked up with tiny tatoos you cannot see with the naked eye, they said it takes that long to work out treatment and to set machine up. Radiation is painless but I did not sleep for the night before and then for a few nights after the start. I am like that, anything disburse my sleep. I have now done 9 they normal do it daily Mon to Fri. I am getting tired and yeh I notice a bit of discomfort and tightness all on my left side where I am having the treatment but it's much much better than chemo. I have noticed some chemo symptons creeping back like forgetfullness, not able to hold a converation fluently, forgetting my words or what we are talking about. Hope this helps and good luck.

Healing hugs coming your way

take care Sarah

• rivergum
    rivergum Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm at the same stage as Sarah, up to day 9 of radiotherapy. First, I had a meeting with the radiooncologist who talked about the treatment with me, then she booked a CT scan for measuring up. No injections, just be the sack of potatoes for about 45 minutes while the radiotherapist technicians and nurses line you up and dot you with six or seven dot sized tattoos for the real treatment sessions.

Like Sarah, it took 2 weeks to plan the treatment as more people have to sign off on the proposed plans then you actually get to meet (I think). I was told it would take about 7 to 10 days for the planning, but it took a little longer due to my tissue expander.

Before your first session you might see a radiotherapy nurse who talks about skin care. I got given a pot of very thick sorbolene cream to smear over the skin. Then you get shown your locker with your very own stylish waffle cotton robe. You only have to take your top half off which is convenient because keeping your shoes on makes for quicker entries and exits after the radiotherapy technician takes you for treatment.

At my clinic's waiting room, as well as the ubiquitous TV droning away, we have jigsaw puzzles set up. It's fun seeing how they progress over the week.

I've now got used to the stop-start nature of measuring up with the technicians and the actual machine working so on the table I close my eyes and imagine sunlight and enjoy breathing. If it wasn't punctuated with intermittent noise I'd sleep. :) You are in and out within 20 minutes, on the table about 15. The technicians are lovely, there is the chatter where you tell them your name, your date of birth, your address and your treatment side - every time! and then they ask you what you're up to for the day and what kind of music you'd like. They are all so YOUNG! (Is it me, am I getting old do you think?)

Lying on the table there are leg rests under your knees, support for your back and cradles behind your head to drop your arms into. If you are not very flexible after surgery, this might be a little uncomfortable, so I expect the cradles are adjustable. I've been doing a lot of pulling my shoulder blades into my spine recently for shoulder flexibility and stretching my chest muscles, so I've been a little stiff in the upper back, but it doesn't worry me on the table.

At day 9 I have a warm feeling in the area being treated and slight reddening of the skin in some areas. So far so good. I'm sure you'll find this treatment fairly straightforward.

Cheers, Meg xxx

• Liztay82
    Liztay82 Member Posts: 213
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the info I think I'll ring my breast care nurse today as she was finding out my appointment date sounds pretty straight forward