BCNA launches new active and well initiative!

Options
Steph Fletcher
Steph Fletcher Member Posts: 109
edited August 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Morning everyone,

My name is Steph, I have recently joined BCNA as the Active and Well Programs Officer and I’ve been very busy working on a new initiative.

We’re thrilled to be launching Active and Well After Breast Cancer, an initiative designed to assist women to lead a healthier lifestyle after having breast cancer.

Active and Well After Breast Cancer is a pilot initiative for women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer up to three years ago from Melbourne’s North West suburbs. Central to the initiative is the delivery of an information day which will help women to understand more about the benefits of regular physical activity and healthy eating after a breast cancer diagnosis.

The initiative will provide an opportunity for women to connect and share with others in their community who also want to take charge of their health and wellbeing and link women with local community-based health programs to help them maintain an active lifestyle.

Registrations are now open for the information day which will be held in Flemington (Victoria) on September 4 2014 and is open to women from across the north western suburbs of metropolitan Melbourne, including Altona, Fitzroy, Whittlesea, Sunbury and Taylors Lakes.

For more information about the initiative or to register for the Active and Well After Breast Cancer information day at Flemington please call BCNA on 1800 500 258.

I look forward to meeting some of you at the information day next month!

Steph

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well I'm in Sydney so that's no help,but I just want to say what a GREAT idea.I had my treatment at Chris O'Brien LifeHouse in Sydney,and they are really big on exercise and healthy nutrition,throughout treatment and afterwards also.Perhaps some of the ideas from the information day could be posted on here? Just an idea.Cheers Robyn
  • Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lovely to hear from you Robyn and thanks for your kind words and feedback. As you can probably tell, we are really excited to be working on such a positive initiative.

It sounds as though you had a good experience at Chris O'Brien LifeHouse in Sydney which is great to hear.

Thought you might like to know, as a part of Active and Well After Breast Cancer we will be delivering a monthly e-newsletter. The e-newsletter will include current information, helpful services and people, apps and ideas to help you manage and take charge of your health and wellbeing.

Please let me know if you would like to be added to the distribution list - we would love all interested women to receive a copy!
    If you have any concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch sfletcher@bcna.org.au.
    Thanks again,

Steph

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I live in Cairns so even less chance of me attending. It would be great to have access to something like this in Regional Australia. I would love to hear how this all works out.
    Paula :)
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would love to be added to the list:) Thanks.
  • Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sure thing Robyn! I will ensure your name is on the list, the first edition is set to go out later next month :)

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a great idea.  Would you please add my name to your list for the monthly newsletter?  I am also in Queensland so cannot get to meetings.  Thank you.

Michelle R :)

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can you sign me up for a newsletter and I'll share it around my bc support group. Tonya xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can you sign me up for a newsletter and I'll share it around my bc support group. Tonya xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • shelli
    shelli Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Steph, I would love to be added to the list - i am actually in Melbourne and might come and check it out depending on my "wellness" at that point. But on another note - I might be able to help you bring your message to a broader audience onlline..i am new to the BCNA forums, but i will be here for a whiile as my diagnosis is a lifetime one.. But I am also a digital mover and shaker.. so here to help where I can.  So message me and we could chat and see what your plans are at sometime soon! :-) x

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

Absolutely Michelle, I have your name down to receive the newsletter! Have a wonderful day :)

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

Very happy to include you on the distribution list! :)

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tonya, sounds great - have added your name to the list. Have a wonderful day :)

• HazelB
    HazelB Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Steph, i'd like to be added to your email list too - i'm in QLD and its been a long time since my initial diagnosis, and similar to shelli have advanced to the next stage. i am always interested in wellness so would enjoy keeping up to date. i think its a fantastic initiative, and so powerful to bring such positive energy to this journey xox

• HazelB
    HazelB Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Steph, i'd like to be added to your email list too - i'm in QLD and its been a long time since my initial diagnosis, and similar to shelli have advanced to the next stage. i am always interested in wellness so would enjoy keeping up to date. i think its a fantastic initiative, and so powerful to bring such positive energy to this journey xox