What now?

Options
Andir
Andir Member Posts: 37
edited July 2014 in Health and wellbeing
It's been a while since I've been on here. My treatment is herceptin & hormone tablet now, all the other nasty stuff is finished. My hair is back & I'm feeling ALMOST back to a new normal - whatever that is.

I asked my oncologist what symptoms shld I look out for with any secondary cancers - his answer was "don't look out for anything". I get what he means when he says that you can't wait for it to happen & of course I don't want it to happen but shouldn't we be checked all over on a regular basis so if it was to appear anywhere else we cld attack it with some chemo straight away before it's spread too much & then there's no time left for you at all?

Sorry if this all seems a bit much but I can't get it out of my head!!

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's hard isn't it,and I get exactly what you mean.I think though,that after we have finished treatment,we should try to remember that our chances of secondary cancers are VERY low.I honestly don't think about it much,but I do look forward to my 3 monthly check ups with my surgeon and oncologist.I check my scar line regularly,but not obsessively,and I feel that I know my body well enough now,that if something suddenly appears,like a bad cough,bone aches or something out of the ordinary,well then I will go straight to my doctor.Otherwise,I think that I can safely get on with my life.My new ,but wonderfully healthy life.I really believe that worry and stress can contribute to diseases like cancer,so as well as trying to eat and exercise properly,most of the time,I am also working hard on not being stressed.I am 6 months past chemo now,and take Tamoxifen.There isn't ONE SINGLE DAY that passes,that I don't think about BC in some way,but it's more now perhaps trying to help people on this blog,or thinking of things that I can work on to maintain my new healthy self!!!!!!Perhaps you could stay connected on this network.I find it really helps me,and I know that I am not ready to leave it just yet.Hope this helps you,and please stay in touch.Cheers xoxRobyn

• Andir
    Andir Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thankyou Robyn I will try not to focus on it too much & yes you're right I think I also know my body well, especially after all of this so that's the main thing.
    Take care xx