post chemo experiences..

Options
Alissa J
Alissa J Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi I was just wondering how other people have felt or what their experiences were...I have just finished 6 months of chemo and was hit the same week with the flu ( but feel those symptoms now resolved), now 2 weeks post cytotoxic chemo and 1 week post 3rd weekly herceptin infusion but I just continue feeling really achy, all my muscles are sore just to even stretch out my arms or legs try to take a big step... So just wondering how long it takes to get over the chemo? Now I'm not taking the steroids - I used to at least feel great for a couple of days... am I just missing that boost? or am I just being a sook? When will I start to feel better? I've been taking panadol osteo to help me sleep? Will exercise help? Thanks in advance

Comments

• mandycoop
    mandycoop Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Alissa,
    I wish I had the answers for you but I am in the same boat. I am nearly 2 weeks out from weekly chemo and I'd say I almost feel worse. I'm hoping that is because i am not having the couple of 'up' days with the steroids and not something more sinister.
    I also have aches and pains all over and I am fatiguing easier.....but then I am doing a lot more. I've been relying on Panadol Osteo as well and i take fish oil daily.
    Hopefully some of the ladies who are a bit further along can shed some more light on this for us.
    Do you have radiotherapy up next?
    Love Mandyxxx
  • BecJ
    BecJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey I completely understand.
    I finished 6 months of chemo in March FEC and taxatere. Taxatere was almost impossible due to pain. Mastectomy and full auxillary dissection April, 5 weeks radiotherapy June. Herceptin almost halfway and zoladex every 28 days to go into menopause.
    Oncologist today!

Pain every day and night. Hobbal everywhere reconsider getting on floor with kids. Avoid the stairs that I could once run up. Turn over in bed, need to focus first. Ouch
    I was told today panadol osteo for day time pain but if it's chronic all day and night what's happened it chemo started it and radio, zoladex and lack of good sleep accumulate to cause pain similar to fybromyalga and the cycle needs to be stopped. Today he started my on lyrica or similar. Used to treat epilepsy and mild anxiety because it's a muscle relaxant. It should break the pain cycle to allow the muscle,body and head to reprogramme. I'm to take 75mg x tab a day for 3 months.

I hope this helps ladies. But just so you know most people it stops by itself in about 2 to 3 months. Mine didn't.

Love to you all. Bec
  • BecJ
    BecJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Alissa
    I've left a comment on you blog. I hope it helps but I hope more that it's settled.
    I'm not sure of your treatment etc and don't feel you need to share. But I can see you have a little one, just a few recent thinks that may fore warn you. I'm post the major treatment as of last week but I did get a bad cold/flu this week. But I think it was worse than it should of been as I am emotionally drained. You run on and just do what you need too. But as it slows the emotions catch up. It's ok and hopefully you have great support and will know that this to will pass.
    I am a single mum of a now 3 and 4 year old. So keeping life at normal as possible for them has been exhausting. I'm now going to take a rest and read some books, go for a swim when the burns heal and get some massages.

Just my experience and thoughts. X
  • Parso76
    Parso76 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Alissa,
    I am 5 weeks post chemo and was also having bad muscle problems, I couldn't even squat to reach the toaster in the pantry without pulling myself up the cupboard - I was also having little stumbles when my legs didn't seem to want to co-operate ie getting in and out the car - but I'm happy to report it has mostly subsided - each morning before getting out of bed I did some basic stretching and went for short walks even just around the garden as I was too tired - also used the heat pack some nites in bed.
    I agree with one of the other posts - emotionally at the end it can take its toll and depending on the type of chemo it may also be cumulative so your body is at full chemo impact and you feel real yuck - keep smiling it will get better soon .
    Julie xx
  • Parso76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Alissa,
    I am 5 weeks post chemo and was also having bad muscle problems, I couldn't even squat to reach the toaster in the pantry without pulling myself up the cupboard - I was also having little stumbles when my legs didn't seem to want to co-operate ie getting in and out the car - but I'm happy to report it has mostly subsided - each morning before getting out of bed I did some basic stretching and went for short walks even just around the garden as I was too tired - also used the heat pack some nites in bed.
    I agree with one of the other posts - emotionally at the end it can take its toll and depending on the type of chemo it may also be cumulative so your body is at full chemo impact and you feel real yuck - keep smiling it will get better soon .
    Julie xx
  • Parso76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Alissa,
    Julie xx
  • sodapop
    sodapop Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's so horrible! I've finished 3 × FEC and each round was so different. Lots of nausea but I've now had 2 rounds of Docetaxal and it's the worst! I ended up in emergency on day 6 and my symptoms lasted the whole 3 weeks before my next dose..there is no let up & that's hard to deal with. 

I hope we all get a break, we deserve it! X