New to Group

Options
Christine 59
Christine 59 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I have been reading a lot of your stories and it has helped to know that all the emotions I'm feeling are OK.

It has been 2 weeks yesterday since I was diagnosed and it has been a whirlwind of mammogram, ultrasound, core biopsy, doctors, surgeons etc. I am being booked in for a mastectomy and have CT scans still to be done. Life has been turned upside down, and my head is still spinning. Just wanted to say hello and make contact with you lovely ladies,

Chris

Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to BCNA although I'm really sorry that you find yourself joining us. As you have discovered this site can really help when the world seems to have gone mad. In just a heartbeat we are thrown into a foreign place with lots of procedures and waiting for results.

But we are lucky to live in Australia with a wonderful health system that works really well when you suddenly need it. Wishing you all the best for your surgery (I had a mastectomy just over a year ago). If there is anything we can help with just ask. Keep in touch and take care. Deanne xxx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to the best place for support, advice, and answers to anything you want to ask us.  Your life is about to be taken over with appointments, so buy a notebook and take it everywhere with you - appointments, procedures, questions - write it all down because you won't remember later.

We are always here for you.  I also have had a mastectomy, chemo, and radiotherapy 2 years ago, and have come out of the tunnel, but still remember very well how it felt to be scared and overwhelmed.

Keep posting and let us know how you are going.  Big hug.  Michelle xx

• Christine 59
    edited March 2015
    Options

Nice to meet you and thank you for your reply. As you said the world has gone mad and I'm feeling really disconnected from my usual life and filled with worry as to what is to come.

I would love to be able to chat re the mastectomy and what to expect and some practical advice from someone who has been there. I think it is all just starting to sink in that this is actually happening,

• Christine 59
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your right, my life already feels taken over and I'm sure there is so much more to come, Thanks for the tip on the notebook. I have just received the My Journey Kit and will start using the the journal.

Thanks for the support and the hug. I really needed that. Chrisxx

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I kept the thought that after surgery, my cancer would be gone upper most in my mind. This helped me to feel positive about the mastectomy. I had very little pain, more a very tight feeling across the chest and under the arm (the cannula in my other hand hurt more!).

They will probably have a physio show you some exercises to help get full movement back in your arm. I did these often and had no trouble getting my arm moving well. I think they like you to get 75% of the movement back by about 6 weeks. I could drive after a week but had trouble reaching up for a while. So moving things you use a lot to bench height is a good idea.

I found Ahh Bras really good because you could pull them up rather than over your head at first. You can put your soft padding that you get from Berlei in them too.

In hospital I wore button up PJ's with loose singlet tops underneath. I had a bamboo one that was super soft against the skin. Easy to put on clothing is great for the first week or so. I wore leggings with the singlet top and then an oversize button up shirt over the top.

The hardest thing for me was sleeping on my back! I ended up with lots of soft pillows to get comfortable. I bought some dry shampoo because it is hard to wash your hair at first.

Hope this info helps. It was no where near as bad as I thought it would be so I hope you find the same. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have breast cancer but welcome to this network.Have you ordered the "My journey kit"from BCNA?It's free and posted out to you and will get you up to speed with bc info.It all feels like a bad dream at first and then you get swept along on a wave of tests,scans, and treatments.Take someone with you to appointments,write everything down and ask for copies of pathology etc.Take button down the front pjs and a loose shirt with you to hospital.I had a mastectomy and came home after 3 days with a drain in.I saw my surgeon a week later for drain out and pathology results. Painwise,it wasn't too bad.If you have a breast care
    nurse,ask her to order the free Berlei post surgery bra for you.I wore singlets/ camis for the first few weeks with loose shirts/ tops n scarves.Hope I haven't gone into info overload and kept your poor head spinning.It can be overwhelming but you will feel more in control when there is a plan in place for you.I've had bc twice- in 2003 and then in 2010(same breast)and I'm fine now.Good luck for the coming weeks and blog back here for info and support.Big hug,Tonya xx
  • Christine 59
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tonya and Chris,

Thank you for your repliesand all the advice, it is much appreciated. My head is still spinning.  Tonya, you said you were in hospital for three days, my surgeon told me it would only be an overnight stay for my mastectomy, which I must say has freaked me out a bit. The thought of coming straight home on my own.

Chris, I was told a recon was not an option until further down track, I see lots of ladies on here talking about recon straight away. This is all so confusing.

Thanks for the support from you all, looks like i will be asking lots more questions. I am in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, is anyone near by?

Chris, best wishes for next Thursday, let us know how you go.

Hugs and thanks to all 

Chris xx

• chevellie
    chevellie Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is my first time on here as well.  Am feeling exactly like you do Chris, my how your world changes in a spit second. 

It has been a week and a half since i was diagnosed with a large lump in my right breast. Have had lots of tests, X-Rays, CTscans etc. See my breast surgeon Thursday week.  I also have abnormal liver function tests which my GP was very concerned about. Got the all clear on Saturday that the cancer has not spread. It was equal to winning the lotto i recon. Myself and family were so relieved, i was yahooing around the place.

I will be having a double masectomy , radiation and chemo.

It has been wonderful and very helpful finding this forum and being able to read all about it and get an understanding as to what i am in for, as i knew absolutely nothing about BC before.  I didn't even know there were different types.

I got my daughter who is 38 to have a look at this as well and she says it is fantastic and has helped her alot as well.

It's comforting to know that i can call on you as i start this next chapter.

I turned 60 on the 29th April and  live with my husband in a little place called Balgal Beach which is half way between Townsville and Ingham in North Queensland.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and especially your great tips. 

Michele X

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

welcome to a group of the most wonderful supportive women around, unfortunately what you require for membership is a load of crap.

We are all at different stages of our journey and all lean on each other from time to time, even those of us that have finished our treatments get wobbly when its time for our tests and scans, fear strikes our hearts once more.

Anyway, we are all here for you and will assist how we can.

Sending you hugs

Donna