Hi

Options
AnneD
AnneD Member Posts: 28
edited April 2014 in General discussion
I was diagnosed with early breast cancer (stage llB) on 25 March 2014. I had a lumpectomy and axillary clearance on 10 April. I have been travelling ok until Easter Sunday when I couldn't snap out of thinking all of the worst case scenarios. My poor partner copped the lot, the anger, the grief for the changes in my body, the fears. She was a rock and tried to get my mind back to just being in the moment and not thinking too far ahead.

I see my oncologist this Thursday and should hopefully get all the pathology reports from the parts of me they took out. I'm hoping the margins are clear, the lymph nodes behave themselves and I don't need any more surgery! I wanted to just jump on and say hi and to say thanks for all the very honest posts I've been reading over the past couple of weeks. The women here are amazing and brave. I know the journey has just begun but I have felt better reading what others have to say. The past four weeks have been a whirlwind and I suddenly know a lot more about breast cancer. I have my fingers crossed I beat this disease but either way, I am changed for good. I don't think anyone can experience breast cancer and not be changed forever.
Thanks for reading

Comments

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are very brave, In some cases it can be a very difficult journey not just for you but for all those that are part of your life.

One thing I found very helpful was a meditation called 'Yoga nidra' it is a mindfulness meditation that is guided and it rotates through the parts of the body. It has been shown to help with pain and settle you when you have a miriad of overwhelming emotions.

I was fortunate enough to find this wonderful group of people that helped not only the cancer patients pre and post op/chemo but also you could take your partner/carer with you. Many of the hospitals can refer you on to a meditation group or you can look it up and find what feels right for you.

All the very best.

Maria333

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are very brave, In some cases it can be a very difficult journey not just for you but for all those that are part of your life.

One thing I found very helpful was a meditation called 'Yoga nidra' it is a mindfulness meditation that is guided and it rotates through the parts of the body. It has been shown to help with pain and settle you when you have a miriad of overwhelming emotions.

I was fortunate enough to find this wonderful group of people that helped not only the cancer patients pre and post op/chemo but also you could take your partner/carer with you. Many of the hospitals can refer you on to a meditation group or you can look it up and find what feels right for you.

All the very best.

Maria333

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to the best network for support and advice!Eventually, as strong as we all try to be,we have a bit of a meltdown.It is very normal,as it is probably the first time,most of is have faced a life threatening illness.However,try to remember,that breast cancer is VERY treatable and most of us go on to live a long and healthy life.It is a bump in the road.I was diagnosed last September,had a mastectomy,then chemo,now Tamoxifen,and I feel pretty damm great! I found that this network was SO helpful to me,and allowed me to put my fears and thoughts,and any questions I had,out there to ladies that knew exactly how I was feeling.It also took some of the pressure off my family,because I was able to offload all my stuff on the blog!!!!Stay in touch,and let us know how you go.Whatever your results,you will cope,and in the end,you will be a stronger person for the experience.:) Take care.Cheers xoxRobyn

• AnneD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Robyn and Maria, I appreciate your insights. I have been looking at some yoga and meditation options though I've not come across Yoga Nidra as yet. Will add it to my 'to do' list.
    I am in a better place since my little meltdown :) I think a good cry every now and again can do wonders and I am only human after all, it's good for the soul! I've gotten back to my positive mindset and now am focusing on the pathology report telling me on Thursday that my surgeon cut it all out and the margins are clear. Here's visualising.
    Thanks ladies and cheers xo
  • AnneD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Robyn and Maria, I appreciate your insights. I have been looking at some yoga and meditation options though I've not come across Yoga Nidra as yet. Will add it to my 'to do' list.
    I am in a better place since my little meltdown :) I think a good cry every now and again can do wonders and I am only human after all, it's good for the soul! I've gotten back to my positive mindset and now am focusing on the pathology report telling me on Thursday that my surgeon cut it all out and the margins are clear. Here's visualising.
    Thanks ladies and cheers xo