karate look

Options
TonyaM
TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
edited January 2011 in Health and wellbeing

Well thank goodness my hair is really getting a move on now.Still no fringe so hence the headband.This is so much cooler  to wear.I've been designing and sewing lots of colourful cotton bands.I thought I was looking quite swish in them until my 7yr old nephew asked if I was learning karate! My hair is coming in dark+some grey and curly and I can't do a thing with it- used to be blonde and straight.After 7mths of creatively covering my head I must surely have a degree in head management.          Tonya

Comments

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hey tonya, the karate look suits you...and yes i never knew there was so many things you could do to cover up your head, and tie scarfs until i went to the look good feel better session, hehe, what we do to look good under the circumstances, but at least we still have our sense of humour. regards moira

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Love the headband, Tonya. The colours are gorgeous.  I have a friend who's in the middle of chemo and finding a wig too hot, so I might have a go at making some myself!  What sort of fabric did you use?

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Di,

I used cotton for my headbands-anything else makes you sweat.I made 2 styles.The one I have on is actually a square 56cmx56cm light cotton voile.I can either fold a triangle and have it as full headcover scarf or fold it over several times to make a headband that ties at the back of the head.My other headbands are heavier cotton(eg.for patchwork)and involve abit more sewing.For the headband cut a fabric strip 54cmx14cm-fold it and sew edges together.Turn edge inside and iron flat.Then cut 2 strips of fabric 54cmx8cm-fold both and sew edges together then turn right way,You should have 2 "tubes" to iron flat.Then it's just a matter of attaching the 2 ties to each end of the main headband.You end up tying  a bow at the back. I embellished one with black lace -you can get creative!Different colour for each outfit.I hope my directions are clearer than mud!

Tonya

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh, sound's pretty straight forward, I'll give it a go (says the person who might not even be able to *find* the sewing machine!

Thanks ma'am! :)

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Moira.How are you going since your recent surgery?I like your cute cap-is that your hair under it?Cos if it is then it's a nice colour and cut.

Tonya xx

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi there again, i am going really well now, back on the road to normality. and yes thats my real hair under the hat, it is still curly on the ends, but i straighten it now, and since having the last op on my hed, its now comming in grey... bohooo, but coloour will fix that soon lol take care

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Moira,

Do you use any particular hair colour product? I want to dye my hair soon but don't want to scare my chemo hair away.

Tonya