Trouble with Health Insurance

Options
JessicaV
JessicaV Member Posts: 297
edited March 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Today is day 21 of my 21 day cycle when I should me in the best post-chemo state I am likely to reach during my 18wks on TCH Chemo. Here's what happened to my day to rapidly reduce me to an tearful exhausted state and show me how close to the edge I am even on a good day.

Wigs: are they covered under my MBFHealthsmart Couple pollicy now under  Bupa Health Insurance? I rang and checked first, checked twice in fact, once in Jan and again in Feb: yes they pay $750 towards a wig for chemotherapy patients with an oncologists letter and receipt. I spent my money, bought a wig. I now have no hair and our mortgage is due, Rang on Monday this week to ask how exactly to claim, and this new CallcentreWoman said, Sorry, but your policy doesn't cover wigs. I spoke to Consultant Aaron who said CallcentreWoman was right but if I'd been quoted, they would possibly pay, so someone would get back to me within 48 hours. Very not impressed.

Rang Bupa about another issue, asked again about wigs, and consultant Josh said yes we do cover them under your policy under Health Appliances. He had no idea why others were unaware of this fact. He would send me the form. So relieved! The problem was solved and I could sleep in peace.

But then for the icing on the cake, this morning Customer Communications Girl Jade rang me. She sounded smarmy and insincere. She had completed the check for Aaron. No, she told me,Josh didn't sort it at alll. Josh she said is a new consultant and he does not know what he is talking about. No, Bupa is not meant to cover wigs under my policy, but they would agree to pay what was left over once I had claimed maximum rebate on wigs from Medicare. Medicare would supply paperwork for claiming the remainder from my private health insurance. I had to send this documentation in to Bupa to collect the outstanding amount.

So I then spent a large chunk of the day trying to find out how to claim a rebate on a wig from Medicare. We don't have a Medicare office nearby, and I wanted to claim on line. A kind woman in the Chemotherapy section of PBS spent quine some time trying to help me, but could not find anything about claiming for a wig from Medicare. Medicare knew nothing at all about it. I then rang the WA Cancer Council, who were shocked at Bupa's Jade's ignorance. There is no rebate on wigs available through Medicare. Again, very not impressed.

I then rang Bupa call centre agoin, and asked to speak to someone at the top. I was put through to someone within Bupa Health Support, a guy called Craig, who sounded professional, has promised to sort it out and fast track my claim once my receipt copy arrives from the wig seller. He sent me an email with clear details for submitting my claim, and certainly sounds as if just maybe he will sort this mess out.
I will believe it when I see it.
Meanwhile I am utterly exhausted, and about to have my second chemo session in the morning

Comments

• itsme203
    itsme203 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

I too have had nurmerous issues with my private healthcover....to make matters worse I do not have Medicare as we are temporary residents so we have overseas platinum coverage with our insurer. Everytime I phone (or the doctors rooms phone) I am given different information. It is really quite annoying. They told PS they would be 100% of the AMA rate, but then only paid the Medicare rebate rate and of course the PS billed me, assuming I had 9k just sitting around to send them a cheque. I ended up having to go into the local office of the insurer and work it out. Honestly, aren't we under enough stress with our treatments etc? Maybe a bit more compassion by our insurers for all people having medical issues. I too was told a wig was covered, so I purchased one and sent in the bill...we will see what happens there.

Good luck to you

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really relate to this--it is really offensive isnt?  especially as ive got 20 years with bupa and hardly ever claim for anything..

they took ages to process my surgery bill done inpatient and can relate to swarmy ''well we have up to 28 days to process claims'

then sent it back to me saying they dont pay for surgery done in doctors rooms---er she has rooms at the private hosptial but no my lumpectomy and lymph node operation wasnt done in her office...and how about calling me instead of holding onto claim and then sending it back to me....

on top of everything it really doesnt feel good and then i would get these chirpy emails not responding in any way but with feel good corporate messages of togetherness and availability....

• Linda27
    Linda27 Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options

My health insurance is with BUPA and I have had no issues with claiming my wig or my compression garment.  I did have to provide a letter from my doctor stating that the items were required for medical reasons. 

My salary continuance insurer is a different matter.  I think that their goal is to make your life has difficult as possible.

Hopefully you get your claim sorted soon.

Linda

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry to hear of your battles Jessica. I went to Cancer Ass in Shenton Park and had a hililarious session trying on wigs and borrowed one and several turbans and scarfs. I don't intend to wear a wig but wanted one in the case I change my mind. I sent a message a week ago offering to accompany you to-day but I guess it went missing. Never mind and here is my mobile number again 0421574033 in the case you want to catch up for a coffee. My round 2 is on St Patricks Day so as we are so close in treatment we can exchange notes on symptons or something!!!!! I am a public patient and grateful I don't have to worry about health insurance and paying gaps etc. My SKG was a fiancial killer as I don't have a health card! Ah well. Take care and thinking of you to-day. Sarah