Super foods

Options
Bec15
Bec15 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hello everybody

Just curious as to whether you see benefits in the so called “Super Foods” like linseeds (flaxseeds), blueberries, broccoli and tea (especially green) helping to guard against certain cancers.

Since my BC diagnosis last month (I have DCIS) I have done a complete turnaround in what I eat. I am having a mastectomy on Monday as they found more DCIS behind my nipple. I am actually not concerned about losing the breast. Better out than in. I will take life over vanity any day. I just hope I can move on from then and there is no more unwelcome news in my body

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some people think that large amounts of these foods may interfere with the way that chemo drugs work and even the hormone therapies. If you are having any of these treatments it is always a good idea to check with your oncologist. The same with vitamin and mineral supplements.

Eating a healthy diet and exercising can definitely help to reduce the chance of getting cancer again, and it helps you to make the most of life. Sometimes even the belief that we are helping ourselves is enough to keep us feeling better! Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some people think that large amounts of these foods may interfere with the way that chemo drugs work and even the hormone therapies. If you are having any of these treatments it is always a good idea to check with your oncologist. The same with vitamin and mineral supplements.

Eating a healthy diet and exercising can definitely help to reduce the chance of getting cancer again, and it helps you to make the most of life. Sometimes even the belief that we are helping ourselves is enough to keep us feeling better! Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Enaj
    Enaj Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2015
    Options

Should have mentioned that I'm 10 months past my last chemo.  During chemo I just ate what I could stomach, which certainly didn't include any wine or chocolate!!!!!!  Definitely check with your oncologist.

Best, Jane

• Bec15
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Enaj for all the tips. Did you have a DCIS?

• Enaj
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Bec, no Invasive Ductal Cancer.  I've come out the other side of 2 mastectomies, node clearance and chemo.  Initially I decided I didn't want reconstruction but that changed and now I'm probably about one third of the way through expanders &I'm dreaming of squishy foobs!!...............it's been a long haul but I firmly believe that reassessing what I put into body.............food, cosmetics etc etc.........has helped me get through this relatively unscathed. 

• Bec15
    edited March 2015
    Options

What is the name and brand of the blender you use? I saw one on TV called the NUTRI BULLET from memory and was wondering if that one was any good. But I love smoothies and vege drinks

• VivW
    VivW Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lisa, 

Is there anywhere that we can go to to check for interactions of supplements and drugs.  In particular anything that may interact with Arimidex?

Viv

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If there is a particular thing you are wondering about,why not ask the question on www.iheard.com.au This site is approved by the cancer council.There would be some things just as Tamoxifen and soy aren't good.Cheer Robyn xox
  • VivW
    VivW Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2015
    Options

I used this site after you advised me of it last weekend, I have not heard back yet.  I was wondering about the chia seeds and arimidex.  My Oncologist is a bit blase about supplements, so will have to wait until I see her again. 

Viv

• Enaj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've got an Omni Blend & I'm really happy with it. Not sure about the NUTRI BULLET. Love my smoothies :-)
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sometimes there is a bit of a wait on this site,but you will hear back.Robyn
  • Bec15
    edited March 2015
    Options

We too have been talking about reconstruction. Hopefully there is an excellent plastic surgeon in Brisbane. My question to my surgeon will be “who you would send your wife or sister to”. I have been googling on the net before and after photos and showing my husband.

It is a worry what goes in our mouth or on our skin. I always buy Australian made cat foods as some cancers on pets have been linked to overseas products that always goes through the machines in customs. organic can be so expensive so I tend to really wash under the tap all my fruit and veg where I can. When i recover I will start a vege garden too. Hopefully my 5 chooks will leave it alone....Somehow I dont think so.

Very well done to you with your amazing progress and confidence. 

• Bec15
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great tip.....Thank you :-)

• Bec15
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a very interesting site :-). Thank you for sharing.

I had my laptop on my lap and read the one "does sitting your laptop on your lap cause cancer". 

• Bec15
    edited March 2015
    Options

I will research it, thank you. The Nutri-Bullet is one of those ones you see on daytime TV during the ads.