New diagnosis

eileenc
eileenc Member Posts: 8
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

I am newly diagnosed, less than two weeks ago, and am terrified.  I am attending RPH however am wondering if there are any benefits in using my private health insurance.

Could anyone advise me?

Many thanks

Eileen

Tagged:

Comments

• Susy
    Susy Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015

Hi Eileen, 

I have just had a bi-lateral mastectomy at Royal Perth as a public patient. All the nurses there were absolute angels - i couldn't have asked for better.  I was on a ward with a lady for one night and she had private health insurance but was admitted as a public patient - when i asked her why she said "because of the gap" i was under the impression the gap was quite considerable.

Other than that i really don't know if there are any benefits.

Hope this helps, 

Sue. X

• margiemoo
    margiemoo Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015

Hi 

I was only diagnosed 4 weeks ago, had surgery on thursday 6th March. I don't have private health insurance but the treatment I have had as a public patient has been wonderful.  The support systems have also been excellent. I have had all the scans and tests and was well looked after in hospital. Not sure if this helps you or not. 

Marg x

• Tashie125
    Tashie125 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2015
    Hi Eileen, Sorry to hear you've joined the club! Thought I would let you know that I have been treated privately. I had a fair gap to pay for my surgeon but as far as everything oncology wise my health fund has covered probably 95% of it. I had surgery at Hollywood, chemo at SJOG Subi but I have gone public for my radiation at Charlie's. The nurses/ doctors I have been dealing with have been beyond great at all the hospitals. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Xx
  • eileenc
    eileenc Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

Hi Chris, thank you for your very imformative message and yes perhaps down the track we will meet up.  I am still in the very early stages in that I have not had the results of scans yet, but should do so tomorrow and then a course of action will be confirmed which they suspect will be chemo, followed by surgery then radiotherapy.  I may stick with the public system and do as you indicated, use the insurance at RPH.

Anyway thank you again.

Eileen