Forum Discussion
Viv_C
12 years agoMember
What a week
Last week I had 3 nights in hospital with febrile neutropenia, just as I was losing my hair from first chemo, feeling terrible with my partner interstate for 3 weeks and all my friends away for the long weekend. This week I adopted a cat, went back to work and had my second chemo. Too busy!
When I got home on Saturday, my neighbour told me she is moving interstate and giving up her cats to a shelter. Monty, a 10 year old black and white short hair, is the friendliest cat I have ever known and has been part of our lives since he was half-grown. We don’t have pets of our own but he pretty much lives in our garden, so I phoned my partner and we agreed to take him. This meant a whole lot of chasing around to get a cat door installed in an awkward to fit glass-panelled door, organise ownership transfers with the Council and microchip register, get the right cat food and cat brush etc., and introduce Monty to his new home, none of which seemed simple – though maybe that is just because of my foggy chemo brain.
Then Tuesday was my first day back to work after 12 weeks off recovering from mastectomy, TRAM reconstruction and starting chemo. I had been very anxious about this, particularly with my newly bald head, but I managed to work out a stylish way to tie scarves, got lots of compliments on my new look and was made to feel very welcome back. By the second day I was feeling really good about being in my normal workplace again, doing normal things. But not for long …
Thursday was my second FEC chemo treatment. My partner decided to come home earlier than planned given all the excitement on the home front, so he arrived back just in time to pick me up, which was fantastic. I got a Neulasta injection to give myself the next day (Friday) to boost my blood counts.
I have also booked in to have a port inserted on Monday, as one of the least pleasant parts of my hospital stay was being stabbed countless times in an unsuccessful attempt to insert a replacement I/V line for antibiotics, as my veins are already packing up. I have 9 chemo treatments to go so a port seems like a good plan.
So now I am home recovering from my second chemo, which seems to be hitting me harder than the first, hoping that the cat settles in, hoping the Neulasta works so that my blood counts stay good enough for me to risk a planned trip to Tasmania in week 3 of this cycle, hoping the port insertion works OK on Monday, and hoping that I can get back to work for the rest of next week as planned.
No wonder I am feeling drained today. Time to put my feet up, I think.
This is a rant more than questions, but if anyone can tell me how long it takes to feel OK after a port is inserted I would be grateful. Mine is scheduled to go in at 9 am Monday under sedation, not a general anaesthetic. Will I be able to work from home Monday afternoon, and go back to the office Tuesday or is that pushing myself too hard?
Viv xxx
16 Replies
- Janey235MemberThat's good Viv. Have a good sleep tonight. I know I will :) Janey xxx
- mum2jjMemberThat certainly was a big day. Glad it's over. Also glad you got a sleep in. Enjoy being spoilt. Paula :)
- BearteggieMember
Oh dear what a day you have had. Glad though that it is all over and you have had a good sleep this afternoon and are now being looked after so well by your partner. Have a good night's sleep.
Love
Joy xx
- Viv_CMemberThank you all for your support. The port went in fine, after a long wait. They had run out of ports and the new supply ordered for my 9 am procedure didn't arrive until 11 after being 'stuck in traffic'! I certainly wasn't up to working this afternoon and slept mostly. Now I'm being spoilt and looked after by my partner. Bliss! Viv xxxx
- LisaCMemberHi Viv. I had my port done under local as well but they did give me something like Valium to relax me. I was fine and had chemo same day. It was sore for 3-4 days and I couldn't drive my car (it's a manual and I had mine in my left upper arm). I never had any problems after that with accessing it, so much better than iv where I still have numbness where it was leaked a bit. Fingers crossed you have a better round of chemo xx Lisa
- mum2jjMemberAll the best for tomorrow. Hugs Paula x
- mum2jjMemberAll the best for tomorrow. Hugs Paula x
- Tazza_AMemberNo Viv! Thank goodness! It was just that I had my portacath inserted when I had a follow-up with my surgeon - had my original surgery in Brisbane, but having chemo closer to home. Good luck for tomorrow! Will be thinking of you. Hugs & prayers, Tazza
- Viv_CMemberGlad to hear you are OK. I was much more tired on day 1 and 2 this time than in the first cycle but have been much better today. It is lovely to hear that you are giving your little dog a comfortable time at the end of a long life, but I'm sure it will be very sad for you when the end does come. Thinking of you every day. Hugs Viv xxxx
- Viv_CMemberThere seem to be a lot of cats on here! I do think pets are good company and caring for them can take your mind off your own troubles. Loving your exercise tips. Viv xxxx