cancer and depression

Options
moira1
moira1 Member Posts: 449
edited August 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Hi everyone,

Well I have travelled the journey of bc since 2008, having gone through treatment and finishing it in Jan 2009, I felt great, unfortunately 6 month later, I fell in a heap with depression.

After speaking to my surgeon and bc nurse, they advised me to go on anti depressants, my first reaction was NO WAY I'm a strong person I can get through this! They advised me to take the pills, so I gave in, in the end and took them. Probably like a lot of people who felt depression was failing, I found the medication helped tremendously and got me through a sticky patch. I was on them a year and decided I could come off them so my doc halved the dosage ready to wean off, but then found I had an anurysm in the brain, so once again my surgeon suggested staying on them. Having had surgery in Dec. 2010 I have now come off them, and I am feeling great.  The thing is, when we finish treatment we feel we should be grateful, and yes we are, but PLEASE don't feel depression is a failure - IT'S NOT, and I am glad I had the medication when I needed it, and if I do need it again I will take it. There is a high percentage of bc survivors who go through this, and once again you are not alone, so don't be scared to ask for help from your doc, and support will be given on here as once again, it's something several of us have gone through and nothing to be ashamed off.

Comments

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Moira

Thanks for your generosity in sharing this personal story. Depression is actually quite common in women with breast cancer, so it is good of you to raise the issue and let others who may be experiencing it know they are not alone.

BCNA and beyondblue: the national depression initiative have developed a fact sheet on depression and breast cancer. It includes information on the symptoms of depression, what treatments and help are available, and how to help yourself or someone close to you. You can find it on the BCNA website.

I hope 2011 is a great year for you Moira.

Kathy

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Moira

Thanks for your generosity in sharing this personal story. Depression is actually quite common in women with breast cancer, so it is good of you to raise the issue and let others who may be experiencing it know they are not alone.

BCNA and beyondblue: the national depression initiative have developed a fact sheet on depression and breast cancer. It includes information on the symptoms of depression, what treatments and help are available, and how to help yourself or someone close to you. You can find it on the BCNA website.

I hope 2011 is a great year for you Moira.

Kathy

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Moira, I'm so pleased you have come through another adversity with flying colours ..... you are truley remarkable and I take my hat off to you!!!

I went through a form of depression a few months after my diagnosis and mastectomy.  Because I opted for breast and lymphnode removal rather that lumpectomy and partial node removal I was fortunate that my cancer was isolated in the breast and hadn't travelled to the glands or anywhere else.  As a result I didn't need chemo or radiotherapy.

I was invited to several events by my Breast Care  Nurse but wouldn't go.  I would look at brochure photos of other ladies and feel that I would be there under false pretenses because they were sick and I wasn't.

With no "visible" signs ... ie no wig/scarf/loss of eyebrows etc etc and everyone telling me how well I was coping and how well I looked, I felt guilty because I wasn't sick. My physio gave me a mental slap around one day when I was discussing this with her. She reminded of the facts - that I had been diagnosed with B/C and had had a mastectomy ..... she actually made me repeat that statment two or thre times during our session..... then she pointed me in the direction of a BCNA forum that was being held in Mildura.

That was a turning point for me, listening to Lyn, Raelene and the other speakers on the day, then going to Melbourne and becoming deeply involved with BCNA, making a group of life-long friends and in some small way offering support to others.

After 12 months I realise that I am in charge of my own destiny and can't spend my time thinking about what might have been.  The depression hasn't totally gone, it's still lurking around but it doesn't raise its head as often as it used to.

I'm not afraid to admit that I had been on that road and to acknowledge why I'm not going in that direction any more. 

To anyone suffering with depression, don't be afraid to ask for help,there is so much on offer, thru this site of ours and others as well as friends, medical support centres and practitioners.

We each have our own demons but positive thinking will always get us through .... "with a bit of help from our friends' (according to the Beatles)!!!!

Take care everyone .....

Cheers .... Shirl xx

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015
    Options

Moira, I'm so pleased you have come through another adversity with flying colours ..... you are truley remarkable and I take my hat off to you!!!

I went through a form of depression a few months after my diagnosis and mastectomy.  Because I opted for breast and lymphnode removal rather that lumpectomy and partial node removal I was fortunate that my cancer was isolated in the breast and hadn't travelled to the glands or anywhere else.  As a result I didn't need chemo or radiotherapy.

I was invited to several events by my Breast Care  Nurse but wouldn't go.  I would look at brochure photos of other ladies and feel that I would be there under false pretenses because they were sick and I wasn't.

With no "visible" signs ... ie no wig/scarf/loss of eyebrows etc etc and everyone telling me how well I was coping and how well I looked, I felt guilty because I wasn't sick. My physio gave me a mental slap around one day when I was discussing this with her. She reminded of the facts - that I had been diagnosed with B/C and had had a mastectomy ..... she actually made me repeat that statment two or thre times during our session..... then she pointed me in the direction of a BCNA forum that was being held in Mildura.

That was a turning point for me, listening to Lyn, Raelene and the other speakers on the day, then going to Melbourne and becoming deeply involved with BCNA, making a group of life-long friends and in some small way offering support to others.

After 12 months I realise that I am in charge of my own destiny and can't spend my time thinking about what might have been.  The depression hasn't totally gone, it's still lurking around but it doesn't raise its head as often as it used to.

I'm not afraid to admit that I had been on that road and to acknowledge why I'm not going in that direction any more. 

To anyone suffering with depression, don't be afraid to ask for help,there is so much on offer, thru this site of ours and others as well as friends, medical support centres and practitioners.

We each have our own demons but positive thinking will always get us through .... "with a bit of help from our friends' (according to the Beatles)!!!!

Take care everyone .....

Cheers .... Shirl xx

• brissie lyn
    brissie lyn Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2015
    Options

Firstly I love your new profile pic!

I am so glad you feel better now and, yes, depression is probably something we all face at times. Good on you for speaking so candidly about your experience. We are not alone with this are we? It is like a sisterhood! 

I have also struggled with mild depression lately - after BC, radiation, etc. But I found some cognitive therapy worked for me - I appreciated the advise of a professional psychologist for the first time ever.

The other thing I am doing is reading. My favourite authors are Byron Katie, Deepak Chopra and Eckhardt Tolle. They all talk about questioning our thought processes. There is also a lot of emphasis on trying to live in the present more - not in the past, not in the future. I also balance my self help reading with yoga and a little meditation too.

I just thought I would share this option with everyone. 

Hanging in there,

Lyn x

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi there, you are such an inspiration, and it is good to keep positive thoughts, the profile photo was taken before my op, our dear friends came from qld to be with dan and i for support, family and friends can be such a support in time of need, and then there are the ones who don't know how to handle it, and unfortunately stay away, but one thing i did learn with bc, the true friends are still there at the end, so it is great you have your daughters through your next hurdle, and it goes without saying we are all here routing for you as well, it's so good to have met such wonderful women on this site. Please let us know how you are doing. love Moira XXX

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

If I was asked what I thought I was put on this earth for I would answer "To help people"  If I can keep doing this I will be happy - even if it is only to give someone a smile.  I love to be useful and only do things that have a meahing so this is how I am going to stay.CheersXLeonie

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi again Leonie, as with everything you do you are facing this new challenge with such a positive spin .... how wonderful that you are able to do that.  Your strength is an inspiration to all of us.

First time around you were supported by your lovely daughters, and they are right - it's not fair that you have to go through all of this again.  One positive about this part of your journey ...... your extended family and friends here at BCNA (that's all of us !!!!) are going on the journey with you.  Therefore every time you look over your shoulder your "rent-a-crowd" will be on your tail, to laugh with you when you're happy and to cry with you when you're sad .... but not too much sadness please as there's enough water soaking Qld & NSW already !!!!!

Keep those positive vibes going .... we've got your back baby !!!!

Cheers ..... Shirl xxx

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks.  I am very blessed and I know it -  that's the key to positive thinking!!!!.XLeonie