Journey Starter

Options
melissamorticia
melissamorticia Member Posts: 61
edited December 2013 in General discussion
Hi im 40 and was diagnosed 3 weeks ago.
Im booked in for Lumpectomy on left breast and sentinel biopsy on 8 Jan 2014. Support and advice greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Melissa,
    welcome, you have found a wonderful site here, and hopefully you will find lots of support and guidance. This is a safe place to come and ask what ever is on your mind. It is 3 years since I went through this, but all my surgery was in December, and of course I wasn't organised at all for Christmas when diagnosed. Have you ordered your " My Journey kit" yet? If not, you can find it on this site in the New Diagnosis section on the upper panel. Another book that is absolutely wonderful, and great read prior to surgery is called " Breast Cancer, taking control " by Prof Boyages. It is written in a very easy to read format and uses many analogies to make everything thing easier to comprehend. The book also explains why certain treatments are used for certain pathologies and so on. Good luck with everything, we all know that the waiting is the worst part. If nothing else, breast cancer is a lesson in patience for us, as we do a lot of waiting along the way.

Love Chris xx
  • melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hi Chris thanks for the support. I have my journey kit and it was a welcome gift. The book you mentioned is it available in book stores?
    Melissa x
  • melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hi Chris thanks for the support. I have my journey kit and it was a welcome gift. The book you mentioned is it available in book stores?
    Melissa x
  • melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Melissa x
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the online network! As Chris said,this is the most wonderful place to come for help,advice,and support in general.I didn't have a lumpectomy,but I had a mastectomy.However I did have a sentinel node biopsy.It is very straightforward,and not painful,however it does take quite a long time.My best piece of advice would be to just go ONE DAY at a time.It you get too far ahead of yourself,you often find that you worry about things that haven't happened and probably wont.It is great that you can get through Christmas and all the craziness that goes with it,before your surgery.I hope you manage to have a peaceful Christmas,and before you know it January will be here.Sending love and hugs.xoxo. Robyn.
  • melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes! getting lost in my work and the silly season is of benefit to me at this time.

hope you have a safe and happy xmas xo

• melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Karen, sitting on my hands and waiting is the hard part so your right one day at a time!  There are no guarantees in life thats for sure! I have an amazing network around me and my work is supporting me all the way which takes some of the stress away.  Toime to concentrate on me!

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Melissa, the book is available through book stores. I bought mine for about $34 from Dymocks in Chatswood 3 years ago.