going back to work

Options
kchehade
kchehade Member Posts: 27
edited December 2013 in Health and wellbeing

Hi

I just wanted to find out what is the average time, for women who have had the experience not from doctors, for a woman to go back to work following:

• a lumpectomy & sentinel node biopsy followed by another surgery a week later to take more tissue out. 
  • when i start my chemo: can I work during the treatment period?
  • when i start my radio: can I work during the treatment period?

I just want to be realistic with my self and be fair to my family and employer. I work as an office manager and my employer has been very supportive with time off but I don't have any leave left therfore will need to go back and not have to take leave without pay as it will affect our financial situation drastically and won't be able to afford to pay our mortgage. I can imagine that so many women have or are going through the same dilema.

I am going back to work on monday after 3 weeks off following the first step above. I am feeling ok physically except for the pain from the underarm infection that developed from the sentinel node biopsy wound but I am on anibiotics and hoping i'll be better by Monday morning. I should be starting my treatment in the new year. I don't have all the details as yet but I would like to get an idea from you all about taking time off so I can plan my work and financial matters.

much appreciated.

Katia

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hate to say it but everyone is different. It will depend on how you are with side effects on Chemo. Many women do work through Chemo though I think you need to be flexible about it. It is unfortunately difficult to plan ahead when you don't know how you will be with Chemo. I had 2 different chemo drug combinations. While on FEC I probably could have worked after about day 6 of each 3 week cycle. But I had a worse time on Docetaxel and really could not have worked at all. But I know another lady who breezed through Docetaxel working all the way. I was fortunate to be able to take time off and just did little bits of work from home when I could.

I had very little trouble while having radiotherapy but was extremely tired about a week after it finished.

My advice would be to keep your options as flexible as possible. Does your super include any income protection cover? Most doctors are happy to help with paperwork for this situation. My surgeon was happy to say that I would be unable to work for 6 months while undergoing treatment. Hope you can work things out, you really need to make your health the priority during this time. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hate to say it but everyone is different. It will depend on how you are with side effects on Chemo. Many women do work through Chemo though I think you need to be flexible about it. It is unfortunately difficult to plan ahead when you don't know how you will be with Chemo. I had 2 different chemo drug combinations. While on FEC I probably could have worked after about day 6 of each 3 week cycle. But I had a worse time on Docetaxel and really could not have worked at all. But I know another lady who breezed through Docetaxel working all the way. I was fortunate to be able to take time off and just did little bits of work from home when I could.

I had very little trouble while having radiotherapy but was extremely tired about a week after it finished.

My advice would be to keep your options as flexible as possible. Does your super include any income protection cover? Most doctors are happy to help with paperwork for this situation. My surgeon was happy to say that I would be unable to work for 6 months while undergoing treatment. Hope you can work things out, you really need to make your health the priority during this time. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • neenstar
    neenstar Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Katia,

Deanne is so right when she says that everyone is different and reacts differently to the surgery and treatments.

I went back to work (retail sales) on a casual basis 4 weeks after my mastectomy, and was very glad that I did. Ive continued to work (casual hours) during my 3 months of chemo. Apart from dealing with "chemo brain", Ive been fine. Its actually been very good for my emotional and mental well being to be there. At work I am "Nina Normal" and happy to help my customers make decisions and spend their money! At home, I am a sloth and it isnt good for me. But you have to be realistic because wearing yourself out wont help in your recovery. Slowly, slowly, and see how you go.

All the best, stay strong. Best quote....get up, dress up and show up!

Nina

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Its all so different, our treatments, surgeries all the possible combinations.

After my initial surgery I had 1 monthy off work and returned ok. I worked up to my 2nd chemo and then found I was just too sick and unable to manage and took 7 months off.

Now don't be worried as I had other complications and required more lots of surgery so I was a bit unusual.

There are issues with your chemo as to your immune system and getting bugs, colds etc, so it is dependant on what you do etc.

All I can suggest is that you have to see how you manage as you go along.

Good luck

Donna

• sen
    sen Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi there ,

Please check your superannuation . You should be able yo access temporary disability which will help your financial situation .