Chemo Side Effects

Options
Wilma
Wilma Member Posts: 9
edited November 2013 in Health and wellbeing

Hello am just feeling so overwhelmed and scared at the moment ... Am onto my second round of chemo and am just in need of some personal experiences with your chemo and how you best managed the side effects . Today I was taken to emergency with a suspected infection as i could not stop shaking however no infection present but just low sodium ...Just feel so helpless at times eventhough I have all te support in the world . Thanks Wilma XX

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Chemo is the worst part of treatment. I found my side effects varied a little each time. I kept a daily record of how I was feeling and what side effects I had. I would then get advice/medication to help with these from the oncologist. My chemo nurse was also wonderful with advice about handling side effects.

I had nausea, headaches, sore eyes, fatigue, heartburn, aches and pains, diarrhea and constipation, oral thrush and a yuk taste in my mouth. Things that helped were medications for nausea, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation and oral thrush. When the aches and pains were really bad I used Endone and nurofen. I also tried hard to exercise (walking) most days and think this helped with most side effects. I also drank heaps of water even when it tasted awful.

I just kept ticking off the days until next chemo, made the most of the days when I felt ok. Went out for lunch and even had 3 weekends away during the weeks that my immune system was ok. I had 18 weeks of chemo and found it actually went very quickly. It is 8 weeks since my last chemo, 5 days since my last radiation treatment and I do feel well and have energy again.

I found it helped to just look at one step at a time. Just think about what you can do to get through the yucky days, what you can do to prepare for the next chemo, what you can do to reward yourself when you feel better.
    The women on here are the best support as they truly understand what you are going through. My family were wonderful but even though they tried they did not really understand how it was for me.

One day soon you will be through this too and life does get better. Meanwhile get help with the side effects you have, let others help with everyday tasks and lean on us to get you through the awful bits. Deanne xxx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't be scared Wilma.You have already had a round so J probably won't get a lot worse.I have had 2 rounds,and this time it is much the same.For me the side effects have been tiredness(I rest but also walk each day)dry skin especially round my eyes which are sore(I use moo goo cream everywhere twice a day)yucky taste in my mouth(I clean my teeth each time I eat and use Biotene mouth wash)and an itchy skin rash (I used sigmacort as suggested by the breast care nurse).I also had low blood pressure,which the chemo nurse said could be because of over doing it on the drinking lots of water.My son is a nurse also,and he explained that if you drink too much water,you lose too much salt,therefore on the days straight after chemo when we have to drink lots to flush out the chemo,it is a good idea to add extra salt to food.I had never thought of that!Just go one day at a time Wilma,and come to this site,each and every time you feel that you need help and support.There is always someone here,no matter what time of day it is.Sending you a big hugxoxRobyn
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's really interesting about losing salt through drinking too much water Robyn. But it makes perfect sense. There have been a lot of posts about food cravings and a lot of women, including me, have craved salt throughout chemo. Nobody has even mentioned loss of salt to me before so bravo to your son. Cheers Janey xxx

• Wilma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Janey,

Just beautiful words honestly ....You have made my day and your poem is AMAZING well done . 

Your tips are fabulous ....

Take Care and thanks for holding my hand 

Wilma XXXXXX

• Wilma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne,

You are just amazingly inspiring .... Your positive and can do attitude is a life saver !!  My next step is to get back into my fitness SLOWLY .

Thanks for allowing me to lean on you 

Wilma XX

• Wilma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Robyn,

Am so relieved at present ... Your words have been so helpful !!  Yes too much water does flush out salt as my Oncolgist informed me aswell . Have started adding salt to everything in moderation and am going to start using biotene as have developed the mouth sores today .

Hugs 

Wilma XXX