A little bit of extra help

Options
gilliann
gilliann Member Posts: 76
edited November 2013 in Health and wellbeing
Hi my lovely pink girlies,

Was wondering if anyone throughout their journey went for any counseling?

I've been holding it together pretty well, my last chemo is on 28th Nov. I'm struggling to keep up the brave face positively charade. When I feel overwhelming angry and pissed off. I'm not a negative person and don't want to be turn into a horrible bitter person. That's not who I am.

Is it normal to feel this way??

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Chemo really takes a toll on our bodies and mind. Those drugs definitely effect your mood and this can effect how you cope too.

I felt so awful during my last 3 chemos and was just so over the dreadful taste and the aches and pains. I hated feeling down particularly because my family had been so wonderful but I was sick of missing out and not seeing people and felt that no one else understood how alone I was feeling.

It felt like I had worn everyone else out too! I could not exercise much because of aching muscles and breathing issues and I just felt in a slump that I could not get out of.

I did not get any counseling but have had counseling for other issues at other times in my life and found it beneficial to use the skills I had learnt previously.

I do feel back to normal most of the time now ( still have moments though) that chemo is out of the system (last chemo was 7 weeks ago).

It might be worth trying counseling but you will probably find that life will improve when chemo ends. I find that now I am back exercising I feel so much better in my mood. My positivity is back, along with a new determination to make the most of life.

Hope you feel better soon but you are certainly not alone in your feelings. We are enduring a traumatic time and we all feel angry that this has happened to us and that our lives are changed forever and that others just don't understand.

Take care. Deanne xxoo
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had some wonderful phone counseling sessions through the cancer council. I didn't feel up to going to yet another appointment, but really needed to speak with someone. They hook you up with a trained psychologist who will call you at a designated time. If you need more than one session it is with the same person. Found it really helpful especially as their psychologists are all trained in dealing with cancer patients so I think they "get you" a bit better.
    Sending you a hug.
    Paula xx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have never been one to have counselling but I did go to see the psychologist at Peter Mac before my final decision on having a double mastectomy. I was quite nervous at first but after a few minutes, I was talking to her like an old friend. Things came out that I had bottled up in side, including anger and the 'why me' feelings. I think talking to a professional trained in this area helped me to not feel guilty about my anger and fears and to try and let them go. I haven't always been successful but I'm getting there.

The Cancer Council might be a good place to start as Paula said and as Deanne said, you are certainly not alone.

Best wishes
    Janey xxx
  • gilliann
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm defintely going to give the Cancer Council a call. I forget sometimes that it's an emotional as well as physical journey. xx

• gilliann
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm defintely going to give the Cancer Council a call. I forget sometimes that it's an emotional as well as physical journey. xx

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They really are very helpful. Just make it clear you would like to,speak to a psychologist and that will make it happen.
    Yes it truly is a huge emotional thing to go through. I found my emotions were worse when it was all over!!
    Take care.
    Hugs

Paula :)
  • krmcc
    krmcc Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Gilliann,

Do you have a supportive GP? It might be worth asking them about the possibility of a "Mental Health Care Plan" which can give you up to 10 sessions per calendar year of Medicare subsidised sessions with a psychologist on the basis of issues like anxiety, depression, adjustment difficulties etc. It might be worth considering. In your situation there might be some psychologists out there who may consider "bulk billing" you so that you do not have to pay a gap. The Cancer Council may be able to put you in touch with psychologists who are experienced in this area. Also check out the APS (Australian Psychological Society) website www.psychology.org.au. There is a "Find a Psychologist" database which could be useful to find someone in your area with specific expertise.

I have had some sessions with a clinical psychologist since my diagnosis and this has really helped me get through so far. 

Take care

Karen