Pilates during chemo

Options
dizumba
dizumba Member Posts: 66
edited October 2013 in Health and wellbeing
If anyone knows if allowed to exercise Pilates during chemo sessions ??
I would like to hear anyone if know about it
Dianne xxxx

Comments

• doraeqta
    doraeqta Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Dianne,

I am in the same boat, and this is my 2nd diagnosis. I will have another operation this Thursday. I have been through chemo, and after operation, will have more chemo and radiation. 

I started chemo in March 2013 and the first three months were really tough, but on days when I was not feeling tired, I went for yoga session, aquabics and also aerobics. I used to exercise 3 times or more per week but since the start of chemo, I cut down to twice per week. I asked my doc and he actually encouraged moderate exercise. 

Yoga in a sense is quite similar to pilate, so I guess, take it at your own pace and have fun. 

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Dianne,

If you have always done pilates and you can manage a class then why not.

I would advise the class instructor so they can keep an eye on you.

If in doubt always check with your oncologist or GP.

I figure you know your body better than anybody else so slow down and listen to what it is telling you. If you can manage a pilates class then do it girl.

Personally I couldn't manage return to pilates, hatha yoga or boxing. NO more fast impact stuff for me, I have found yin yoga to be amazing. It is much slower and mostly floor poses. I have found a teacher that understands and works with some cancer patients which is wonderful.

Basicly Dianne, listen to your body.

All the best.

Maria333