My cancer will probably kill my mother

Options
the Foxs lady
the Foxs lady Member Posts: 119
edited October 2013 in Health and wellbeing

I live with my Mum as her carer. 

She is 82 years old.

She has exercised all of her life with aerobics where she conducted the classes until she was into her late 60s then when she couldn't handle the impact on her legs, she got into the water and taught aquaerobics. 

All of this exercise was her superannuation.  She has really really good bone density.

But her mind is letting go now and her short term memory is terrible. 

She is no longer eating properly and she is now under 50 kgs.  We have "Meals on Wheels".

Because of my father's position in the town, she was not "allowed" to work so she worked for charities. 

Growing up I don't remember a day when my mother was not home when I got home from school.  My youngest daughter on the other hand would not remember a day when I was not at work.

I think my cancer will kill my mother.  She is living way too close to my cancer for her to get away from it. 

When I went away for treatment, I would make arrangements for people to come in and watch over my mother. 

As soon as I arrived home, they would go again because I was there.

Poor Mum HATED my bald head.  As much as she knew my sleeping helped me, she hovered around watching to see if I was still breathing. 

She wants the truth, she wants honesty, but she doesn't handle it so I tend to not say much to her now.

Hopefully when I have my round of tests this month, I will be able to say NED......   

My mother constantly says, "it should have been me"........and I understand how she feels because I am GLAD that it is me...and not her...not my sisters....not my children....or my grandchildren.

Yesterday, I put Mum into hospital...again.....

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ooooooooh sweetheart that is soooo sad.  I am so sorry Foxs Lady.

My heart goes out to you and your mum. Life is not dealing you a good set of cards at all.

I am so so sorry and I so wish I could do something to help you.

Lots of love today, tomorrow and always.

I know you are not keen on hugs n kisses but they are coming your way anyway.

Mich xoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ooooooooh sweetheart that is soooo sad.  I am so sorry Foxs Lady.

My heart goes out to you and your mum. Life is not dealing you a good set of cards at all.

I am so so sorry and I so wish I could do something to help you.

Lots of love today, tomorrow and always.

I know you are not keen on hugs n kisses but they are coming your way anyway.

Mich xoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

• magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your mum may be stronger than you think.

My mum died last year at 96 - she asked me every day when I spoke with her "how's the breast ?".  As she declined in the last few months she never stopped being my best support and friend. I fought and will win because of her, FOR her. You keep on fighting, keep your mum close, let her know you're ok. It's the worry that you're ill and not winning that will make her sad.

I hope that both of you succeed in overcoming.

magicmum

• magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your mum may be stronger than you think.

My mum died last year at 96 - she asked me every day when I spoke with her "how's the breast ?".  As she declined in the last few months she never stopped being my best support and friend. I fought and will win because of her, FOR her. You keep on fighting, keep your mum close, let her know you're ok. It's the worry that you're ill and not winning that will make her sad.

I hope that both of you succeed in overcoming.

magicmum