Preventing Lymphaedoema

Options
NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
edited July 2013 in Health and wellbeing

I was advised to begin with sorbelene cream in your hand and stroke your arm with a pressure no greater than stroking a cat.  With gentle strokes, begin at the shoulder and work your way to hand end.  The direction is stroking toward armpit.  I work in the distance of a hand space and do mid arm to arm pit, elbow to armpit, mid fore arm to arm pit, lastly wrist, elbow, armpit.  I guess I imagined removing the toxins from the shoulder/armpit first, then from elbow, then from wrist.   I learnt that this was a safe way to stroke the toxins out of arm safely, remember, like stroking a cat, not the usual massage pressure we are used to.  Just my own thoughts, and make sure you seek advice from your physio before you try it !

Comments

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, get a GOOD person to help you. Listen to your body, and let your body heal after surgery, radiation etc. Try not to rush about too much ( not easy as many diagnosed might be in midlife and doing lots of things each day..etc ) I was. ..It was a shock to say the least, along with other issues.

I say to myself.. Take it slowly.. gently...carefully. I find gentle exercises in water good.  ( I did the ENCORE water, and out of water exercises, helpful ) I do daily massage when I feel a little tightness around the back and shoulder blade area, and in the chest and upper arms.  I sometimes lie down, with feet elevated for 15 / 20 minutes, to do the breathing and massage. Do not push yourself too much, too quick, too heavy and repetitively... TIME also does heal. So maybe do more later on; I mean a year or two.. You do not get over things that quickly;  especially with some multiple treatments, and some that might be ongoing. 

Before I travel on a plane I do massage and slow abdominal breathing. I also use a case on wheels, so I do not have to put constant strain on the lymph. I try NOT to rush, so make plenty of time before the flight etc. )

Even  today, I  have some ongoing problem, but it is not understood by many in the health profession, let alone those in the community. When I meet another person with some lymph issues, THEY understand. I think there are varying DEGREES of lymph issues, so listen to your body..

Look at work issues too in your life. The Surgeon told me.. do not lift anything over 2 kgs.  This issue should really have been looked at more closely in my casual work at the time of surgery. This too did not help my mental state afterwards. Anyway... you must accept what is.. :D

Professor Neil Piller said.. that 70% of lymph is just under the skin, and close to the surface, the other 30% are a bit deeper. If you empty to deeper channels and they drain back into the veinous system, ( in the neck, groin, abdomen ) then the other 70%, under the skin.. can be " drawn "   back up the arms, and gentle stroking helps that, along with abdominal breathing, and muscle movement. You start in the neck and then front clavicle, then arm pits, then stomach, groin...etc. A person trained in Manual Lymphatic Drainage can help you learn how.  Gravity would also help, so lie down for a short period, if you can, during the day. I think of it as " rebalancing the system ". Do it daily, or even twice a day and adjust your life a bit, so you do not try and do it ALL on one day etc.. 

I do not wear a sleeve. I have one. I think learn the massage, breathing  and draining techniques first.  I also FELL over on my arm, which I think put ,  sudden, extra pressure on the lymph system after surgery, so be careful.... with sudden, prolonged, repetitive movements, etc..

Also ..having hot flushes ( vasodilation ) ..as well may complicate things a bit..so take it easy ..especially early on..for 12  +months etc..

Keeping the skin moisturized and wear gloves when gardening etc, might help with preventing infections etc. 

Weight management may also help. If you feel you have a " problem, " get help and information early. Err on the side of caution to begin with when using the arm.

Things are changing slowly  and there is information on this site too re lymphoedema.

Lastly, Scanning  laser therapy helped me with softening scar tissue.( I tend to get thick keloid scar tissue) It helped also with swelling and  following radiation. In Tasmania there is the St Mary's Lymphoedema Clinic, situated at the St Mary's Hospital and Health Centre, along with accredited lymph massage therapists.  You need a referral from your health professional / physio etc.. The St Mary's clinic is happy for you to phone them and chat first also.