Di F

Options
Di F
Di F Member Posts: 24
edited October 2010 in Day to day

I am new to all this but here goes. Having recently being diagnosed with early breast cancer, I would love to hear from women who have had lymph node involvement so I can be encouraged that the chemo is worth while going through.

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry that you have been diagnosed, but glad that you have found this site.

I was diagnosed in 2007 when I was 36 years old.  I had a large tumour, Grade 3 with lymph node involvement.  I had a mastecomy and chemo.  And I am now on hormone therapy for the next 2 years (5 year stint in total).  Chemo sux but is doable and I still have a wonderful life.

YOU are the only one that can decide if chemo is worth doing and your medical team can give you all that stats.  Everyone is different and responds differently to treatments and chemo.

Good luck.  Let us know how you are getting on.

Tanya

• Di F
    Di F Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have also had a mastectomy and have had 2 rounds of chemo. I'm feeling okay at the moment and haven't yet had the headaches which I had first time round. At least nausea has been under control. Dealt with the hair this last weekend - my hubby helped shave my head - I have been well supported by him through the journey. After my chemo, I too will be put on hormone therapy for five years. Thank you for replying - it seems so many stories I have read have been lymph node negative and realistically their odds are a lot better but once you are on this roller coaster ride we are on, the fighting spirit seems to kick in. Did you go down the road of reconstruction and how are the side effects of the hormone treatments? All the best to you too. Di

• w.a. kaz
    w.a. kaz Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome Di,  I have had a mastectomy it had spread into 14 of my 21 lymph-nodes, chemo and radiation, this was 2006. I had a reconstruction done at same time as mastectomy but ended up with an infection within 4 days so had a second recon done 1 week after first, they had to re-scrape out my lymph-node area and you will be pleased to know i have full use of my arm with little damage, bit of thickening of the scar area but to be expected. I did my physio work a.s.a.p to help with movement and did the encore program which would have helped too. I wish you the very best with what-ever you choose to do and one thing that I've found is exercise at a slow and steady pace (no super-woman stuff!!!) really does make recovery seem quicker.  good luck and keep in touch :)

• grandma57
    grandma57 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

In answer to your question...yes we can all read your story in your blog and I believe there is no need to re-write it elsewhere.

It’s lovely to see you have let me into your life and your breast cancer journey and yes…resting after chemo I believe is a must…what better way to spend your time than to watch the V8’s…sounds like I’m a bit partial to motorsports…lol

You will move past this time in your life and I know losing a colleague must be difficult for you especially now, but take heart lots of women today have a much better survival rate and the treatments nowadays are even better than when I was diagnosed in 2003.

You are one of the lucky ones as far as your chemo treatments go…gosh I was sick as a dog for at least a week and sometimes even longer. Everyone’s body acts differently to chemo as there are so many different strengths and amounts of chemo that are given.

I feel for you not having your mum by your side but again you are lucky to have such great support given by your Christian friends and to have a loving husband who understands is a massive positive in your life as well as your children…you are blessed!

Don’t be sorry about the questions…that’s what a true friend is for and I hope our friendship will grow with time.

I have no ongoing issues however it did take me the best of 2 years after chemo and radium treatments to feel like my normal self again. I have at the moment a body malfunction in the way of bulging discs in my back and Sciatica in the left leg but I believe this had nothing to do with my breast cancer treatments…think it is from too much hard physical work when I was younger.

The weekend has been great and our breast cancer tribute at our home track was very successful…everyone was so supportive and I believe we managed to bring about breast cancer awareness by hosting this Mini-Field of Women event.

Di do the things you love in life when you feel well and take peace in the fact that all women are strong in mind and spirit…you can conquer this…your mind is your strength.

• grandma57
    grandma57 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

In answer to your question...yes we can all read your story in your blog and I believe there is no need to re-write it elsewhere.

It’s lovely to see you have let me into your life and your breast cancer journey and yes…resting after chemo I believe is a must…what better way to spend your time than to watch the V8’s…sounds like I’m a bit partial to motorsports…lol

You will move past this time in your life and I know losing a colleague must be difficult for you especially now, but take heart lots of women today have a much better survival rate and the treatments nowadays are even better than when I was diagnosed in 2003.

You are one of the lucky ones as far as your chemo treatments go…gosh I was sick as a dog for at least a week and sometimes even longer. Everyone’s body acts differently to chemo as there are so many different strengths and amounts of chemo that are given.

I feel for you not having your mum by your side but again you are lucky to have such great support given by your Christian friends and to have a loving husband who understands is a massive positive in your life as well as your children…you are blessed!

Don’t be sorry about the questions…that’s what a true friend is for and I hope our friendship will grow with time.

I have no ongoing issues however it did take me the best of 2 years after chemo and radium treatments to feel like my normal self again. I have at the moment a body malfunction in the way of bulging discs in my back and Sciatica in the left leg but I believe this had nothing to do with my breast cancer treatments…think it is from too much hard physical work when I was younger.

The weekend has been great and our breast cancer tribute at our home track was very successful…everyone was so supportive and I believe we managed to bring about breast cancer awareness by hosting this Mini-Field of Women event.

Di do the things you love in life when you feel well and take peace in the fact that all women are strong in mind and spirit…you can conquer this…your mind is your strength.