Parents have gone home

Options
NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542

Wow it was hard saying good-bye as it always is.  My 74 year old parents flew from S.A. to live with us from my 2nd Surgery on the 15th Nov until today.  They put their own health issues aside and became my house maids and carers for that time, so we could cope, and my husband could get support and adjust, and work 2 jobs.  We all adjusted quickly, although my poor man was a tad worried about sharing his home for that length of time, he  was surprised at how much of a blessing they were.  They softened the blow of the most devastating thing to have happened to us so far.  My mum washed my back in th shower when I first had surgery, and they worked together as they shopped, cooked,cleaned, got scripts, drove my car, just did everything the entire time.  They were company when I read a book under the tree, and my Dad walked with me on good days by the river.  The never ending washing, preparing meals from scratch and the love and devotion to support us through the beginning will stay in our heart forever.  We have always been close, and they have always been my shelter from every storm and strength and courage.  I told my Mum "You can go home with a clear conscience that you did all you could, and we can never thank you enough!"  My Mum had breast cancer when she was 55, and has a list a mile long of health issues herself, but she pushed on and did all she set out to do.  This conversation occured because at one stage she was frustrated she couldnt stay the whole time, or couldnt blow dry my hair (when I had it), because of her arthritis, so I sat her down and said "Dont you dare feel bad, you've done everything you could"  She didnt have to go through the Chemo when she had hers, so she felt like a ;typical Mum who said "I wish I were going through it for you!"  So it doesnt matter what age we are, they will always be my Mum and Dad and I will always be their "Little Girl".  Thank you Mum and Dad - we love you!

Tagged:

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

What wonderful parents!You are blessed but I'm sure you would be there for them if they needed you.That's what families do.(most,anyway) It's good to hear that your mum has survived for almost 20 years since her bc .She would understand what you are going through.I'm sure you'll miss them but it sounds like they have given you the strength to carry on.Are you half way with chemo yet?Hope your scalp is clearing up.Take care,love and hugs,Tonya xx

• SueVR
    SueVR Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know how you feel.  My Mum was diagnosed 16 years ago and has had two lots of BC plus more recently Bowel and Secondary BC - unfortunately for her she is now in the maintenance stage of the disease.  She also did not have Chemo during her initial BC and would do anything for me if she could.  She lives 400km away but cannot travel due to her illness.  It is so wonderful to have loving parents but now you have that extra special bond with your Mum (unfortunately it is BC), but it is really great being able to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are going through.  I think that my diagnosis of BC hit my Mum harder than me, especially when it came out of the blue and is Stage 3.  I wish you all the best in your treatment.  Sue

• SueVR
    SueVR Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know how you feel.  My Mum was diagnosed 16 years ago and has had two lots of BC plus more recently Bowel and Secondary BC - unfortunately for her she is now in the maintenance stage of the disease.  She also did not have Chemo during her initial BC and would do anything for me if she could.  She lives 400km away but cannot travel due to her illness.  It is so wonderful to have loving parents but now you have that extra special bond with your Mum (unfortunately it is BC), but it is really great being able to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are going through.  I think that my diagnosis of BC hit my Mum harder than me, especially when it came out of the blue and is Stage 3.  I wish you all the best in your treatment.  Sue

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Bel

Your story is such a heart lifting story. As mums/dads we will do whatever we can for our precious children.

You and hubby have been so lucky to have your folks rally together for you but I am sure they also wil walk away knowing they have been there for you as best they could and given what they could to their beautiful child.

It will be hard for you and hubby to cope on your own now so I am wishing you both wellness, strength and ability to get through the rest of your journey. I hope you will be able to find assistance in the community should you need it.

Take care, lots of love

Mich xoxo

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Bel

Your story is such a heart lifting story. As mums/dads we will do whatever we can for our precious children.

You and hubby have been so lucky to have your folks rally together for you but I am sure they also wil walk away knowing they have been there for you as best they could and given what they could to their beautiful child.

It will be hard for you and hubby to cope on your own now so I am wishing you both wellness, strength and ability to get through the rest of your journey. I hope you will be able to find assistance in the community should you need it.

Take care, lots of love

Mich xoxo

• Annie13
    Annie13 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Bel

What a wonderful story. Your parents sound like they have done a wonderful job supporting you and your hubby. Wishing you all the best. x

• Annie13
    Annie13 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Bel

What a wonderful story. Your parents sound like they have done a wonderful job supporting you and your hubby. Wishing you all the best. x

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

You wrote so well about your parents help to you and your husband and the love you share. They have gone back to SA and it must be sad for you.

I drove by your way yesterday. I went to Launceston to visit my daughter, Torey and grandson Finbar. I did a " loop. " Came back via the East Tamar to Mt Direction,  then Pipers River Road to Lilydale Falls, then on to Scottsdale. Picked a kilo of blueberries at Lebrina on the way. The season is on now, but only for a few weeks. Pick your own at $6.50 a kilo.Only takes a short while to pick them. Makes a nice outing. ( Eat a few also while picking.. he he )

It turned out a nice day. A friend of mine might be moving to Pipers River, so I may get over your way one day and have a coffee at windermere Cafe....

Good luck with treatment etc.. Kathy.

• TraceyB
    TraceyB Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi bel, i read your story with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. You are so lucky to have had that wonderfull time with your parents. I am so pleased you got the much needed help you deserve. I hope your chemo is going good still. I have just had number 2 of the taxol and it is day 2 and still feeling really good. No probs at all. Just a lot of rain at the moment. Cheers Tracey

• TraceyB
    TraceyB Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi bel, i read your story with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. You are so lucky to have had that wonderfull time with your parents. I am so pleased you got the much needed help you deserve. I hope your chemo is going good still. I have just had number 2 of the taxol and it is day 2 and still feeling really good. No probs at all. Just a lot of rain at the moment. Cheers Tracey

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

First week I will be up for a coffee, if you feel like driving to windermere Cafe