Just diagnosed

Options
Jazzie
Jazzie Member Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone

I'm 34 and was diagnosed on 7 January 2013 with Invasive Carcinoma grade 3 (still confused with all the lingo!!) I'm going to be having a mastectomy with tissue expanders then followed with chemo. My dr hasn't given details of what until I'm through surgery. This seems like a very silly question - but I'm unsure of what to expect after surgery. If any one could help with advice of what to take to hospital in regards to clothing etc would be wonderful. Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jazzie,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but you have found a great support group in the Young Pink Sisters.  And yes you will get to know all the lingo and terms.

I had a Mastectomy and Diep flap reconstruction and was in hospital for 10 days- so a little different to what you are having- but here is my list of what to take to hospital

I-Pod-I couldnt keep my eyes open at times post surgery, and couldnt concentrate on the TV or reading- so putting in the earphones, shutting my eyes and listening to my favourite music was great.

Soap- take a nice soap or body wash- maybe you can suggest a friend buy some as a gift.

Hair shampoo, conditioner

Lip balm

I wore the hospital gowns at night- my room was warm so I was sweaty at times- and would change after my shower in the morning into loose lightweight tracky daks. 

I also bought some long-length shirts that button down the front a couple of sizes too big- again short sleeves as the hospital was warm.  Large t-shirts would be ok too.

I wasnt allowed to lift my arm (side of mastectomy/sentinal node removal) so needed tops that would go through arm and over head easily (hence botton-thru are easier).  I also had drip and drains to work around. 

Wear your pretty bras into hospital but make sure you take an old pair- minus underwires.  

If there is a Bresat Care nurse at the hospital- contact her as she should be able to give you some suggestions re bras etc.

All the best

Carolyn

• Jazzie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for this. My mum had breast cancer as well but didn't have a full mastectomy so urged me to try and find some support groups who could help. Such a simple answer but means a lot, thank you x
  • poppy7
    poppy7 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jazzie, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I had a mastectomy on the 17th December and Im still quite tender under my arm. I found the bcna bra too uncomfortable to wear because of all the swelling, but if you have time, go to best and less and pick up their padded 'ahh bra' with the removable padding. You can then insert the soft form you receive into it. It is quite comfy and you can step into it. Have lots of button down shirts or really loose t shirts that you can pull your good arm out of and then slip off over your head. Dont forget chargers for all your electronics. Take all the pain killers they give you and keep it up when you get home. Expect good and bad days. Hope this helps a bit. Regards Vee

• mummyrach
    mummyrach Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jazzie, sorry you've had such a crappy start to the year. I was diagnosed last October with exactly the same, I also had a bilateral mastectomy with expanders and currently having chemo. The ladies have given you some great advice, one other thing is to make sure you do your arm exercises that the nurse gives you it makes a big difference. All the best with your operation. Rach
  • sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • poppy7
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam,

I put a request in to join this group back in December but still can't join up and have had no response??  Is there any way to join other than by clicking on the Join button??

Cheers,

Louise

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

thats wierd Louise. add me on facebook and ill try to sort it out for you. punchard2010@**** - merylee punchard

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jazzie,

How are you going?? Have you had your surgery yet?

I went to Target tonight- on a mission for a friend who has just been diagnosed- and Target have a post-surgical section now- they have a cotton bra that has fasteners at the front for $20.

I used a similar bra after my mastectomy and reconstruction and found it very comfortable.  I wore it at night for quite a while as I felt I needed the extra support.  I have also worn it after the three revision surgeries that have been needed.  Hope this is helpful

Regards

Carolyn

• Jazzie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm now 1 day post surgery. Feeling pretty awful. Fair amount of pain and not getting much sleep :( I'm hoping tomorrow brings a better day. Thank you all so much for all the advice xxxx
  • poppy7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jazzie, hope you feel better soon, take as much pain meds as you need.

Regards

V

• dawngirl
    dawngirl Member Posts: 130
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jazzie,

Really sorry to hear you're feeling awful, Not sleeping would not be helping ( to state the obvious). I wonder if you can ask the doctors to give you something to make you sleep?

I never appreciated how busy (therefore not conducive to good sleep) hospitals are until I went in for my mastectomy in November. I think I managed about three broken hours the first night, and four the next. Not at all what I had hope for (hours zonked out).

I hope tonight sees you sleep well and tomorrow feel better.

x

• Jazzie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the support guys. I've been home for a few days now. Was awesome to get back into my own bed. Was discharged from hospital with "hospital in the home" with a nurse coming out everyday to check on me and the drain tube. Just waiting to see the surgeon and hopefully have the drain tube taken out. Yay :) have to go back on 8 February to have an auxiliary clearance done :(
  • Jazzie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the support guys. I've been home for a few days now. Was awesome to get back into my own bed. Was discharged from hospital with "hospital in the home" with a nurse coming out everyday to check on me and the drain tube. Just waiting to see the surgeon and hopefully have the drain tube taken out. Yay :) have to go back on 8 February to have an auxiliary clearance done :(
  • Jazzie
    edited March 2015
    Options