Contraeception After Breast Cancer

Options
catcrazy
catcrazy Member Posts: 44
edited October 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Hi girls,

New to this great site. I am 38 had a lumpectomy last week and went back to surgeon today. Thankfully he said got all cancer out, wasnt in lymph nodes. His only concern was that it turned out to be stage 4 ( initially told me stage 1 ) and that it was 10cm rather than the 4cm a few weeks earlier. Anyway have to start chemo asap which is scarin the hell out of me. My main fear, vain as it may seem, is the hairloss. But like surgeon and all you ladies know, a few bad months for prolonged life is a no brainer. Can anyone help with contraecetion. I am not allowed to go back on the pill but I guess would be seeking a longterm permanent contraeception method. I've been on the pill for over 20 years so don't know much about this stuff. Thanks in advance ladies! 

Comments

• Sorelle1969
    Sorelle1969 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello and welcome to our group,wish we could have met under different circumstances :) Stay strong,and positive because it does make a difference. Feel free to vent on this site,cause we all know exactly how you feel.Things will get better and your hair will come back even better. Please keep us updated.I will be sending lots of positive vibes your way.
    Take Care Sorelle.xxxx
    Keep Smiling girlfriend you can do this!!!!!!!
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I love cats too.Welcome to this network where you will get lots of support and info. I am sorry to hear you have to go down the chemo path-probably the hardest path of all.The hair loss thing is often underestimated-it's huge and you are not vain just female.Alot of my earlier blogs were big whinge sessions about being bald.You will adjust to it,no choice really.Just blog us if you need info on wigs and head gear.A good place to start is www.headcovers.org in USA-online shopping,cheap and delivered to your door. I wore alot of caps and bandanas as it was too hot for a wig.I had one for special occasions but was sorry I spent so much on it.Anyway,we are all here for you and know what you are going through.Sending hugs-Tonya xx

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Catcrazy, I'm half way through 6 months chemo.

I had a lot of hair...see photo. It was something that really defined me, determined how I dressed, balanced my whole body really. I found the thought of losing it really hard. But I knew (from this forum) that it would take about 2 weeks from the first chemo session, and I was ready I suppose. Ready a possible. When it started to go, my family just shaved it all immediately. Then I had to go out the following 2 days so simply had to deal with it. I had looked at you tube for how to tie headscarves, had bought a nice range, and I was away. Not even any tears. Now, it's just a bit of a pain, but people say I look great. I got my ears pierced to add some glamour. Try to just embrace it.

About contraception.....talk to your GP maybe. They don't like any procedures during chemo due to neutropenia. Your body just does not heal as quickly and risk of infection is serious. They also say that chemo should shut the ovaries down. I'm hoping that's the case for me, but if not ill be looking at maybe removing them if advised for the cancer treatment, or an endermetrial ablation after the whole cancer treatment is over. I think something is going on with the ovaries now....hot flushes....horrible.

I look forward to seeing ladies responses who are farther down the track.

Good luck with your treatment...Louie