Not covered under Medicare.

Options
Debbie J
Debbie J Member Posts: 322
edited October 2012 in Day to day

I have been on Femara since August last year. I have had a bone density scan and now have to have a bone injection I think yearly and go on tablets. My Dr was most upset as Medicare do not cover for the injection and the tablets are not on the PBS. I think the injection is $200 or more, that is what I am told, not sure of the price of the tablets.

Has anyone else had this problem?.

Since I started on the Femara I have had really bad joint pains and at times so hard to move. The last 3 weeks I have taken Magnesium powder with my calcium tablets each morning, just a teaspoon full and wow what a difference the pain is just so faint and I do not have any trouble with my joints. I just thoght I would pass this on if anyone is is having joint pain from the tablets.

Take care Debbie.xxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you have diagnosed osteoporosis I would have thought the bone building drug would be covered....

Jenn
  • Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just doing some research...

I know that the two main bisphosphenate drugs for building bone density are zoledronic acid (Zometa) and Denosumab.

Zoledronic acid is only covered in some instances. See info at this link: http://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/6371H-9288W-9350D-9653C and here is the authority info including info on other drugs that could be prescribed:

Treatment as the sole PBS-subsidised anti-resorptive agent for corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis in a patient currently on long-term (at least 3 months), high-dose (at least 7.5 mg per day prednisolone or equivalent) corticosteroid therapy with a Bone Mineral Density (BMD) T-score of -1.5 or less.

The duration and dose of corticosteroid therapy together with the date, site (femoral neck or lumbar spine) and score of the qualifying BMD measurement must be documented in the patient's medical records when treatment is initiated.

Only 1 treatment each year per patient will be PBS-subsidised.

Authority Required (STREAMLINED)
    Treatment as the sole PBS-subsidised anti-resorptive agent for osteoporosis in a patient aged 70 years of age or older with a Bone Mineral Density (BMD) T-score of -3.0 or less.

The date, site (femoral neck or lumbar spine) and score of the qualifying BMD measurement must be documented in the patient's medical records when treatment is initiated.

Authority Required (STREAMLINED)
    Treatment as the sole PBS-subsidised anti-resorptive agent for established osteoporosis in a patient with fracture due to minimal trauma.

A vertebral fracture is defined as a 20% or greater reduction in height of the anterior or mid portion of a vertebral body relative to the posterior height of that body, or, a 20% or greater reduction in any of these heights compared to the vertebral body above or below the affected vertebral body.

In all cases, the fracture must have been demonstrated radiologically and the year of plain x-ray or CT-scan or MRI scan must be documented in the patient's medical records when treatment is initiated.

Note
    Anti-resorptive agents in established osteoporosis include alendronate sodium, risedronate sodium, denosumab, raloxifene hydrochloride, strontium ranelate and zoledronic acid.

Looks like denosumab injection however is unfortunately only covered by Medicare is you are over 70yrs or if you have already had a fracture, or if you already have breast cancer mets. http://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/5110Y-5457F

Maybe you could ask your dr if you could have the zoledronic acid?

Jenn