Perspective

Options
Heidstar12
Heidstar12 Member Posts: 25
edited October 2012 in Day to day

I met with a woman today who has just been diagnosed with mouth & tongue cancer (non-smoker, non-drinker). Her chance of survival with surgery, chemo and radiation is 30-40%, with only chemo & radiation it's 20-30%. The op will leave many scars and inability to speak and eat for a long while. There is no organised support for her in Australia like there is for breast cancer...and as most people with her condition are older and male, there's not alot of people she can share her experience with. I'm currently processing my feelings about my interaction with her....needless to say I feel 'lucky'...I was also glad that the sharing of my experience helped her just a little (I am the first person who's had cancer of any type that she's actually spoken with!). It's such a horrible disease...I'm posting this to help process my feelings about meeting someone whose prognosis is far less optimistic than mine in contrast with my own feelings of fear about the possibility of my cancer recurring (I finished chemo 2 months ago). I guess I feel conflicted - sorry for myself on the one hand and extremely lucky and priveleged (re: my prognosis and the amazing support offered to those of us with BC) on the other hand. I don't want to minimise what any of us with BC have/are/will go through (let's face it, it sucks!) but I also want to acknowledge that there are others out there with the dreaded cancer who are alo suffering and may need our support and understanding. Sure, not all cancers are the same (not even all BC's are the same) but the shock, fear, confusion, loneliness etc etc are something we all share. I was glad that I was able to share my experiences with this brave woman, just so she didn't feel totally alone as she takes her first steps on what will no doubt be a long and harrowing journey.

Comments

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes I think we are lucky to have breast cancer. In the way of having support - like BCNA - its unfortunate for us that it is such a common cancer - but also lucky, coz there is heaps of support for us and research into breast cancer. 98% survival rate now with early breast cancers! Thats great, compared to other cancers, etc. 

Ive had breast cancer twice, some people say im unlucky. I say to them Im lucky coz I found it twice and found it early. at my age (29) i was blessed i could feel the lumps to ask about them. If they were in a different position and i couldnt feel them, who knows. 

Yes our 'journey' is crap, painful and long, etc... but atleast with early breast cancer we will survive and we can count down our treatments. Go back to life afterwards. We may loose our hair, our breasts & our dignity. But with the support we have here in Australia and the research and the targeted therapies for breast cancer our odds are good. 

I think I am lucky. Lucky to be alive and lucky to know all of you