DiamondDee

Options
DiamondDee
DiamondDee Member Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Day to day

hi i am new to blogging so please bear with me, i was feeling a little down and thought i would pop on line and see what it was all about. plus i am a little unsure about some thing that the oncologyst said. i have had 5 sessions of chemo and am supposed to have 6 all up, but the doctor said that i did not have to have the 6th treatment if i didnt want to. i said if i didnt have to have to have it i wouldnt know i am wondering if i should or not. i am  so over all this and dont want to do it if its not needed.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. I know a lot of ladies who opted out of their chemo. You have done extremely well to have finished 5. I only had 3 and rejoiced at the end. It is a huge challenge. Well done. I am sure you will make a good decision for yourself. Best wishes XLeonie
  • Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. I know a lot of ladies who opted out of their chemo. You have done extremely well to have finished 5. I only had 3 and rejoiced at the end. It is a huge challenge. Well done. I am sure you will make a good decision for yourself. Best wishes XLeonie
  • Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello, Yes, I would discuss it with your oncologist and/ or Breast care nurse. There may be a few reasons why it has been suggested you could do with only 5, instead of 6 chemotherapies.

It would depend many things I suspect. Maybe it might be your reaction to the therapy, the size and location of the tumour, its aggressiveness; whether you had nodes involved and how many, or some other reason. I am NOT an expert; so it is best to discuss concerns with your health team.

When you have all the information and advice, you can make a decision for you.

It is not easy to put your trust in the health professionals, but there has been scientific research on the best treatments and their effectiveness, so try and be hopeful you are doing all you can at this time. Let the emotions come;  and there will be many; but also try and come back to calmness too, if even for only short periods. If you feel overwhelmed, then seek someone early from your health team, who you can turn to, or maybe your GP.

Kathy.

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello, Yes, I would discuss it with your oncologist and/ or Breast care nurse. There may be a few reasons why it has been suggested you could do with only 5, instead of 6 chemotherapies.

It would depend many things I suspect. Maybe it might be your reaction to the therapy, the size and location of the tumour, its aggressiveness; whether you had nodes involved and how many, or some other reason. I am NOT an expert; so it is best to discuss concerns with your health team.

When you have all the information and advice, you can make a decision for you.

It is not easy to put your trust in the health professionals, but there has been scientific research on the best treatments and their effectiveness, so try and be hopeful you are doing all you can at this time. Let the emotions come;  and there will be many; but also try and come back to calmness too, if even for only short periods. If you feel overwhelmed, then seek someone early from your health team, who you can turn to, or maybe your GP.

Kathy.

• magicmum
    magicmum Member Posts: 285
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think if you were told 6 originally you should prob go with that. My onc toldme at the beginning that for me 6 would be the best, BUT if I wasn't tolerating then we could stop at 4. I doing ok so I;m having the 6 - I would LOVE tostop now but I defer to her advice and if 6 is best then I'll have them.

Check with your doc - ask them what's the BEST thing.

magicmum